Put a fan on my 300, not oem

I noticed my 300 will get hot pretty quick if you get stopped in the woods. I wanted the oem fan but it won't fit with my moose radiator cages. I've read about using a fan from a pc, I went one better. They junked out a Dell server at work. I got the fans. Each one kicks butt, way too noisy for a home pc butt moves a lot of air. The current draw is 1.25 amps. I mounted it to the moose cage, top right side. I used a drill bit with some tape for a stop and drilled 3 holes to mount the fan, used some self threading screws and red locktite. The cage is 5mm thick and the screws don't come out the back side toward the radiator. The back side of the fan needed two of the mounting ears trimmed off to clear the tank. No matter they aren't used. I fused it and switched the ground side, if it would short out only thing that can happen is the fan will come on.

I just mounted a switch up by the speedometer.

Raced last weekend, 90 plus degrees and tight slow woods. The fan worked great, it does make my leg hot. Like being back on my street bike.

Used a bunch of free stuff and so far so good. It's been pressure washed 3 times and still works.

I have a few spares anyway.

I have some pics if anyone would like to see it.

Yeah post some photos :smirk:

I ve been riding in woods with my buddy last weekend, it was his first offroad ride and it was really hot so I was most time in 1st and 2nd gear. My 300 got really hot. When I tried to unscrew cap to check what water is doing, it jumped out and steam came out of radiator.

I wonder how long will these PC fans last in hard terrain conditions..

i run evens coolant in both my 300s never had a issue

post some photos :smirk:

I'm working on getting the photos from my phone to here, not a easy process.

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php/photo/38689/size/big/cat/500

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php/photo/38688/size/big/cat/

I hadn't finished the wiring in this photo but it wouldn't show up anyway. I used very small heat shrink and soldered the connections. I was testing the connections and the fan during the photos. That plug has power all the time running or not.

I trimmed off the outside mounting ears for a cleaner look and to clear the tank, the screws are from my old Xbox. My 6 year old boy took it apart and saved them. Now that's recycling.

I would like to add a comment on evans coolant. While it won't boil like the water based coolant the engine is still getting too hot. This fan moves a lot of air keeping the temp down, I feel better running it.

it look EXACTLY like the KTM fan kit.

Great...thanks for the pics/info. My boys and I took an old junk computer apart and I saved two fans that were part of the system. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you.

Where exactly did you connect the wiring for the fan (i.e. what part of the KTM wiring harness did you connect to?

There is an open plug hanging in a perfect spot. You can see in the Pic I had one fan wire pushed into it. I think it's were the factory fan would hookup. I didn't have a plug to match it, I used small wire and folded it over the insulation then pushed it into the plug. I fit tight and hasn't gave my any issue.

There is an open plug hanging in a perfect spot. You can see in the Pic I had one fan wire pushed into it. I think it's were the factory fan would hookup. I didn't have a plug to match it, I used small wire and folded it over the insulation then pushed it into the plug. I fit tight and hasn't gave my any issue.

Thanks. I'll have to hook up one of my "junk" fans!