Sign in to follow this  

wide ratio trans

so i know this has been asked in the past but i am yet another person wanting a baja designs wide ration transmission for my cvrf450 but cannot find one anywhere. anyone know where i can get one?

Baja Designs stopped making them several years ago. Very occasionally, you can find them for sale.

Madman Engineering makes a set for a CR250R, that will fit a CRF450R, but I think you make have to use the CR250R mainshaft, or countershaft, or both. Someone here did it and posted the whole story.

Fortunately, CRFs Only sells a wide ratio set (Agent Smith brand?) and they are even on sale right now.

Andrew

You can find them occasionally on ebay, but they are getting rare. I found one on ebay that was new in box during the winter and managed to get it for 150.00. Gotta love dealerships that have no idea of what they have!

Do a search in this forum for wide ratio trans. One of the TT members had a bunch made up and was selling them.

Im pretty sure he's still got a couple, or recently did a run of them.

Do a search in this forum for wide ratio trans. One of the TT members had a bunch made up and was selling them.

Im pretty sure he's still got a couple, or recently did a run of them.

I was p.m.ing him and if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was in the 400-500 dollar range that he was asking. I could be incorrect, but I think that is the general price range for a w/r kit. I was going to pm him about buying his wide ratio kit, but then that one on ebay popped up and couldn't pass the deal up.

It would be cheaper to trade your R in for an X. I don't know why you would want to put one in? I don't ride mx, but the R is great just the way it is. I hate the huge differences in gears like the XR. I'll never go back. It's so much easier to just change sprockets for the type of riding you are going to do.

It would be cheaper to trade your R in for an X. I don't know why you would want to put one in? I don't ride mx, but the R is great just the way it is. I hate the huge differences in gears like the XR. I'll never go back. It's so much easier to just change sprockets for the type of riding you are going to do.

An R with a wide ratio tranny is a different beast than an X.

When it is time to do the crank on an R, it is pretty easy to swap in the wide rato tranny at the same time. So for the cost of the gears (about 500 bucks), you get a bike that has the gearing of an X, but with the weight and power of an R.

It wouldn't be cheaper for me to trade my R in for an X model. You figure that the dealer will give you slightly more than jack for a trade in. With the money that I have invested in my R with a wide ratio trans, it can easily blow away an X model in the tight stuff (due to being a bunch lighter), and can go just as fast as one. Have you ever rode a R with a wide ratio trans in it? MUCH DIFFERENT than a xr. I just replaced my crank, and since I was already that deep, just put in the wide ratio kit and new clips/washers/etc...while I was at it. To each their own I guess...

Okay, you wouldn't want to trade it in to a dealer. I was thinking more on the lines that if you sold the R and found a low milage X, it might work out. But my point was, why go through the trouble? What's wrong with the R's gear ratio? For me, (even though I don't race mx) I really prefer the closer gear ratio of the R. I've ridden an X and it's gears were like an XR of which I have ridden plenty of. Plus it's so easy to just change the sprockets. Going to the desert or dunes, go higher gears. Going woods riding.... gear lower. It's that easy and you can't tell me isn't a lot cheaper than spliting a case and putting in new tranny gears.

Okay, you wouldn't want to trade it in to a dealer. I was thinking more on the lines that if you sold the R and found a low milage X, it might work out. But my point was, why go through the trouble? What's wrong with the R's gear ratio? For me, (even though I don't race mx) I really prefer the closer gear ratio of the R. I've ridden an X and it's gears were like an XR of which I have ridden plenty of. Plus it's so easy to just change the sprockets. Going to the desert or dunes, go higher gears. Going woods riding.... gear lower. It's that easy and you can't tell me isn't a lot cheaper than spliting a case and putting in new tranny gears.

I understand what you are saying. I rode with the stock trans gearing in my crf up until the winter when I replaced my crankshaft. I use my 450 for trail connectors and things of that nature, so it sees a little bit more speed, and it is easier on the engine now since I am not revving the engine out. I can ride a gear lower and the engine isn't spinning as much, in turn, I think that it saves a bit of life with reliability.

found this set. http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3699 i think the ratios are just about the same as the baja designs one. so from reading these posts most everyone reccomends the wide ratio kit? my crf is a plated supermoto and im running 14/40 sprockets to get a pretty decent cruising speed (for the occasional cruising that I do). sometimes a bigger 5th gear would come in handy. what the installation process like?

found this set. http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3699 i think the ratios are just about the same as the baja designs one. so from reading these posts most everyone reccomends the wide ratio kit? my crf is a plated supermoto and im running 14/40 sprockets to get a pretty decent cruising speed (for the occasional cruising that I do). sometimes a bigger 5th gear would come in handy. what the installation process like?

The installation is pretty straight forward. The only big part that needs to be done is the right hand case half needs to be ground down a bit to accept the bigger fifth gear. A careful hand with a dremel tool makes short work of installing the gear set. Mind you, this is with the baja designs kit, but I assume that the crfsonly kit is pretty much the same. There are four places that you grind around, and you only take about a fingernail's thickness or a little bit more to get it to fit. Also, make sure that you inspect the dogs/shift drum/shift forks when you have it apart, and also, replace the circlips and washers for the transmission mainshaft & countershaft gears. The clips/washers are only about 20 bucks total, and you don't have to worry about that stuff imploding and taking out everything in your trans....

I understand what you are saying. I rode with the stock trans gearing in my crf up until the winter when I replaced my crankshaft. I use my 450 for trail connectors and things of that nature, so it sees a little bit more speed, and it is easier on the engine now since I am not revving the engine out. I can ride a gear lower and the engine isn't spinning as much, in turn, I think that it saves a bit of life with reliability.

I guess a higher 5th gear would be a great thing. I was just talking about the first four and not having the need for a granny. But a higher gear would rule.

I think fifth is close to the same but the other ratios are different since Baja Designs only changed three gears while CRF's Only is changing four gears. Since first gear is the only one that is still stock and the spread on all the other gears is wider, it makes the difference on each shift less noticable.

Now how much top speed it's gain with the wide ratio ?

Fifth gear is about 20% taller, so technically 20% faster at the same rpm. But I chose to add three teeth to the rear sprocket and gain a lower first for trail riding and still have a 13% taller fifth. I think it is a good compromise for me out where I like to ride.

Baja Designs stopped making them several years ago. Very occasionally, you can find them for sale.

Madman Engineering makes a set for a CR250R, that will fit a CRF450R, but I think you make have to use the CR250R mainshaft, or countershaft, or both. Someone here did it and posted the whole story.

Fortunately, CRFs Only sells a wide ratio set (Agent Smith brand?) and they are even on sale right now.

Andrew

Crf's only gears are ACT (Advanced Clutch Technology) Link is attached

took my bike for the first run with them yesterday.

http://www.advancedclutch.com/100wrh01

I like the idea of installing the CRF'sOnly WR gears. Note that their WR gear set is still fairly close ratio. The stock X ratios are much wider than either the stock R or the CRF'sOnly WR gears. The overall gear ratio for the stock R is 1.98:1, 2.37:1 for the CRF'sOnly WR set, and 2.70:1 for the stock X.

I like the idea of installing the CRF'sOnly WR gears. Note that their WR gear set is still fairly close ratio. The stock X ratios are much wider than either the stock R or the CRF'sOnly WR gears. The overall gear ratio for the stock R is 1.98:1, 2.37:1 for the CRF'sOnly WR set, and 2.70:1 for the stock X.

I'm considering it too. Next time I do a Piston, I'll give it serious thought.