Sign in to follow this  

Dodge Dakota A/C

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7 SLT and I was on my way back from riding and noticed that my a/c was pretty warm. I picked up a bottle of freon, but my meter said it was dangerously high. I released some of the freon in the system, then my air got slightly colder but not cold yet. I let too much out so I tried to refill the freon but now the air is really warm! My compressor is also kicking in all the time. Any ideas of what could be wrong?? Thanks :smirk:

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7 SLT and I was on my way back from riding and noticed that my a/c was pretty warm. I picked up a bottle of freon, but my meter said it was dangerously high. I released some of the freon in the system, then my air got slightly colder but not cold yet. I let too much out so I tried to refill the freon but now the air is really warm! My compressor is also kicking in all the time. Any ideas of what could be wrong?? Thanks :smirk:

It was over charged then. In warm temps, to much rerfigerant will allow pressures to go too high. You want to see around 175 on the high side and 25-30 on the low side. This will be assuming you are in a garage out of the sun, temps around 70. The pressures will be a little higher as ambient temps goes up.

Is the condensor core plugged up? Or is th ere lots of debris between the condensor and radiator???? If flow is impeded, it will raise pressures dramatically. I dont know why it would all of a sudden be overcharged unless someone did it. But it wont on its own. I suspect not adequate aif flow across the condensor.

Well I am not sure. I bought the truck last October and I live in the arctic, well not really but its really cold up here. This is the first time its seen any warm temps. When it was in the 50's I could tell it was cool enough to keep me cool when the sun was on the truck while I was at work, but now its 70+ degrees out and it just blows hot air. Thanks for the info guys I am going to try to recharge it and see what happens.

Okay so I checked the level on the charger. It says its around 45, but it goes back and forth between 10-45 and when I pull it it says its too high. How do I check the condensor? Thanks

Okay so I checked the level on the charger. It says its around 45, but it goes back and forth between 10-45 and when I pull it it says its too high. How do I check the condensor? Thanks

The system at rest, both high and low side equalized, it should read 75 psi (system off and setting, if you only can read low side, look for 75psi, high side will be the same, that indicates usually OK on charge level) . But once its ran, high side goes up, low side goes down. I suspect you are seeing low side pressures. Ideally, 20-30 is good. 10 is a bit low, 45 is a bit high. It can be both. When the compressor cycles on, you want it to drop down, but no lower than about 10. 10 indicates charged, but low. If it only drops to 45, its over charged. High wide should be around 150 when cycled on, higher in warmer temps, but you dont want to see anything over 210. Your outside tempos will play a part in that. Condensor, it must flow air across it unobstructed. Its in front of the radiator and lots of leaves and garbage can be caught between the radiator and condensor over time. Make sure its clear. Unbolt the radiator top mount, just tilt the radiator towards the engine, you can leave everything hooked up and ful of coolant to do this.

Does it cool OK going down the road??? What is engine temp or does it not have a gauge?

• Like 1

No, not really its about the same as when I first start as it is while I am driving, and it gets warmer as the engine does. My engine temp is normal.

An update on the a/c. after trying some of the suggestions on here with no luck I broke down and took it in. The evaporator core is full of junk, and my clutch is slipping. The mechanic said its freezing going in, and leaving the tubes are hot. An estimate of $1200, plus a compressor. I guess I am going without air for a while....

An update on the a/c. after trying some of the suggestions on here with no luck I broke down and took it in. The evaporator core is full of junk, and my clutch is slipping. The mechanic said its freezing going in, and leaving the tubes are hot. An estimate of $1200, plus a compressor. I guess I am going without air for a while....

Most often if the evap core is full of junk it is leaking. Did your mech mention anything about an oily residue on the outside of it? This would be a give away that the evap core is leaking and would then cause junk to collect and restrict it. Dont get the evap core confused with the condensor, the evap core is encased but the condensor is in front of the radiator.

The evaporator core is full of junk, and my clutch is slipping. The mechanic said its freezing going in, and leaving the tubes are hot. An estimate of $1200, plus a compressor. I guess I am going without air for a while....

How did he determine the clutch is slipping?

Freezing going in...to what? Leaving...from what?

The refrigerant is changing states in the evaporator. After liquid refrigerant is released into the evaporator, it absorbs heat from the inside of the car, turning into a gas. So yeah, there will be a big temp change (at least in respect to latent heat of vaporization) across the evaporator.

I do my own work, including A/C work, and unless that guy is having to remove your whole dash to get to something, I have a feeling you're getting hella ripped off.

For example, go to www.rockauto.com and take a look at how much the parts are. Your truck...it's not that expensive.