Sign in to follow this  

gear shifter linkage drz-125

The pivot point on mine is super loose and sloppy, I figured there was supposed to be a bushing inside. But when looking at the online microfiche here at thumpertalk, it doesn't show anything there. I haven't taken it apart yet, I just slide it out a bit and the shaft that is part of the foot peg looks pretty worn down.

Am I missing something here, or is mine just wore the heck out? Any thoughts? Thanks,

You're not missing anything other than firm precise shifts. Throw the linkage away and buy a DR200 shifter, it's worlds better

+1 with 500xc. The linkage is very sloppy. there is no need for the linkage. Im not even sure why its there?

Tom

If the shaft where it comes out of the motor is the part that's sloppy, you might have an additional problem. This is pushed out via a pin on the clutch side cover. Be careful when you take it off that you don't push it back into the case, other wise you'll move the fork out of it's home and then you'll need to remove the clutch side cover to put it back in again.

While I can't say all non-linkage shifters will fit, many will even from different manufacturers. They seemed to all use a very similar diameter and spline pattern.

Thanks! :ride: This is the kind of info that should be included in my request for useful stickys!!!

xr100.com has a no linkage shifter. the dr200 shifters will be wayyyy longer than stock. i have the xr100.com lever on my bike and i love it

Why would the DR200 shifter be longer than stock?wondering.gif

I use one, and after measuring the stock DR100, DR200, and doing a quick measure of a dealer DRZ125, the footpeg to shifter tip relationship is the same across the board.

Mine came off of a dr 200 and was the same length as the stock drz125. Only difference was a lack of linkage. I think drz125 was assuming that because its a bigger bike, then they must have used a longer shifter.....you can get them real cheap on ebay.

Tom

Mine came off of a dr 200 and was the same length as the stock drz125. Only difference was a lack of linkage. I think drz125 was assuming that because its a bigger bike, then they must have used a longer shifter.....you can get them real cheap on ebay.

Tom

allright sorry guys i read somewhere that the dr200 was longer. guess i was wrong. wish i would have known that before spending 50 bucks on the shifter from xr100

no worries, you were just trying to help. You should be able to pick them up in the $10 range off of ebay.

I'm sure I had to cut off about an inch the DR200 shifter when I fitted it to my sons DRZ125.

It was 12 months ago, and I have had a few beers since then, but I'm pretty sure :-)

Cheers

Brett

Here's a simple cure using stock shifter:

1. Remove remove the complete shift lever assembly.

2. Detach the tie rod so you now have two seperate pieces.

3. Remove the "ear" (where the tie rod attaches to shift lever) and grind smooth.

4. Remove the tie rod from the splined part, (do NOT remove the ear from this part). Grind off the back side of the tie rod and drive out with a punch.

5. Center the small hole with the large hole on the shift lever. The ear on the spline part should be inline with the shift lever. (The ear will be now be facing down and back or parallel to the shift lever)

6. Clamp and weld, (both parts are mild steel and NOT aluminium as some have suggested). I weld both around the outside lip and fill in the alinged holes with weld...there is no way this is breaking!!!

7. Grind weld smooth for appearence if desired.

I've done lots of these and haven't had one break...plus is basically free if you can weld it yourself.

Oh and btw there are no clearance issues with this fix and it moves the shift point ahead by about an inch, which is much better than stock position unless you take a size 3 boot:)

Edited by 1klx
Additional info