Brake Light

I am making my wr250f 2006 street legal and I need to have a brake light. I know there are switches that can turn the tail light into a brake light but I need a little more info. What brand, is it hard to install, where to buy, etc.?

Hydraulic switch.

It replaces the banjo bolt on the rear master. Baja Designs has them (TT store will hook you up) If you can bleed brakes, you can install the switch. A few properly installed wires and you are set.

One word of advise,do not order the TUSK brand from Rocky mt., i have had 2 of them go bad,get the Baja Designs like William said. Also i think your bike is already set up for the 1157 bulb,it's just not wired for a brake light. Go to Rocky mt. and search Brake Switch.

Hey carder, did you have a relay wired in the brake light circuit? That may be the reason for the switch going out. Switches don't like too much current running thru them, unless rated for it, so relay should be used to alleviate that problem

Alright so I ordered the baja designs brake light switch, it is hard to install? Does it come with detailed instructions?

Alright so I ordered the baja designs brake light switch, it is hard to install? Does it come with detailed instructions?

No, no instructions. It is a simple switch.

If you do not have any idea what you are doing or the concepts behind it, get someone to help you are do it for you.

Hey carder, did you have a relay wired in the brake light circuit? That may be the reason for the switch going out. Switches don't like too much current running thru them, unless rated for it, so relay should be used to alleviate that problem

Simpler and even better, swap the bulb out for an LED 1157 equivelent. Low draw and no broken filaments!

Thanks, I am pretty handy, but I have never done this before. If anyone has some basic instructions they could send my way it would be much appreciated.

The information I provided is basic.

If you do not know how to bleed brakes or understand the concept of wiring in a brake light switch, there is a lot of risk if you make an error.

So i need a relay in the circuit? Wow, that suprises me, i thought 12v was 12v. And it's not the bulb going bad but the Tusk switch itself.

A relay should help. A standard switch doesn't like a lot of current going thru it and the making and breaking of a connection with that current. You can get a heavy duty switch that can handle it or wire in a relay.

Alright, so I contacted the local shop and it will cost about $300 to install the brake switches on my two bikes. I have a friend who has bled brakes before and I have wired RV and trailers before so I think I could pull this off with a little guidance. Anyone wire one of these recently?

did you get this figured out? :lol::)