Brake fluid and oil

Hey guys, I just joined up today. I'm 20 now, and have been riding since I was 8. I bought a '03 XR 250 from my buddy last Wednesday! He pulled the bike straight from the crate in '03, and I've ridden with him on my old bikes for probably a majority of the miles that are on the bike now. It's got an aftermarket cam (don't know what kind), the top end has been honed and bored (have the receipts for it, but they don't specify how much it was bored. I'm guessing it's anywhere between a 270 or 280), and an FMF exhaust. It pulls hard through all 6 gears now! I remember when my buddy first got it, 5th and 6th gear weren't worth a damn, it would just bog and wouldn't gain any speed. But anyways...

Soo all rambling aside, I have some questions. Two days after I got the bike, I was working on swapping on a new rear tire and chain, since both were very worn. Well, I was talking to a friend and not paying attention when I pressed the rear brake down while the caliper was off the rotor, So obviously I had to break the bleeder screw open to collapse the caliper enough to get it back on the disc. It's all good now, but I did notice the brake fluid resiviour is empty. What kind of brake fluid should I run in this thing? I don't know if Honda requires a specific kind, or if I can throw any DOT 3 or 4 fluid into it.

Also, the bike needs an oil change badly. I ride hard, and want the bike to last a long time, so I want to know what would be a good full synthetic oil to put in her.

Sorry for the rambling and all the questions, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the people and the site!

Thanks!

Congrats on the new bike.

When you goof up like that with the brakes, no need to open the bleeder to press the caliper back in to open the pads up, unless the reservoir is completely full, which it shouldn't be since the pads were open to begin with.

The shop manual specifies DOT 4.

Just about any "motorcycle specific" synth should be ok. I run Mobile 1 15w50. Just make sure whatever you use DOES NOT have the "Energy Conserving" label on it.

Here's a free download of the shop manual. http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2006/09/honda-xr250r-shop-manual-1996-2004.html

i like royal purple. its great oil. a little pricie but the better the oil and how often you service it is critical. expecially when you start increasing HP.

congrats on the new bike and have fun.

Congrats on the new bike.

When you goof up like that with the brakes, no need to open the bleeder to press the caliper back in to open the pads up, unless the reservoir is completely full, which it shouldn't be since the pads were open to begin with.

The shop manual specifies DOT 4.

Just about any "motorcycle specific" synth should be ok. I run Mobile 1 15w50. Just make sure whatever you use DOES NOT have the "Energy Conserving" label on it.

Here's a free download of the shop manual. http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2006/09/honda-xr250r-shop-manual-1996-2004.html

Thanks man! And I wasn't sure about opening the bleeder or not, but I just finished the Brakes section of my ASE courses about 2 months back and I was used to opening the bleeder up to collapse the caliper, kind of a force of habit I guess. Thanks for the link to the manual too :smirk:

i like royal purple. its great oil. a little pricie but the better the oil and how often you service it is critical. expecially when you start increasing HP.

congrats on the new bike and have fun.

Shoot! Somehow I completely forgot about Royal Purple. I've ran it on occasion in our jetski, and the difference in performance from regular oil is just mind blowing. I think I'm gonna go with that! I can swing the cash for a few quarts of royal purple for the bike, too bad I can't afford 14 quarts of it for my truck, I'd bet it would be a whole new animal :smirk:

What weight oil would I want to put in the bike? I live in Loveland, CO at about 4,800ft, and will be doing a lot of riding in the mountains, if it matters.

Edited by kmfs91

What weight oil would I want to put in the bike? I live in Loveland, CO at about 4,800ft, and will be doing a lot of riding in the mountains, if it matters.

Anything from a 10w40 to a 20w50. Depends on the climate the bike is ridden and stored in. The first time I took my XR to Colorado with 20wt oil in it and it set out over night in the freezing temps, I thought I was never going to get it start the next morning.

Sweet man, thanks! I think I'm gonna go pick some up after work today so I can't get her ready to ride.