Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket/Gearing questions

hey, Im gettin an older bike (DR650). I was wonderin if I went to gear it down, which I would want like 14t//49t (maybe something diff) for a 520 chain does that mean that i could get just about any 520 chain sprocket and itd fit?? Or does it have to say will fit that year and model bike? BTW, its a pre-1996 model and if you know anything about them I know im gonna have some issues gettin some parts. Specially aftermarket. Lemmy know guys, anything helps. Thanks

Yes, you can mix & match brands, but the sprockets have to be made for that bike, there might be some cross referencing available. I doubt you'd have trouble finding sprockets. The DR 650 is fairly popular.

From what i've read, most change the front sprocket, dropping it one tooth to achieve a little more low end grunt for off roading.

does that mean that i could get just about any 520 chain sprocket and itd fit?? Or does it have to say will fit that year and model bike?

Any sprocket has to be able to fit your specific wheel hub and bolt pattern.

even the mounting holes are different on bikes, some 'recessed' so the bolt head doesn't stick out so far.

14/45 is 'typical' dirt only gearing for a XR650L, so would be comparable. Swap to 15t front for road with no chain work needed.

14/49 would be VERY low for a 650. Great for big hills, tight uphill trails, etc.

Would not work at all on the road. REVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Edited by MindBlower