Sign in to follow this  

What is a parts cleaner?

Hey guys, I've heard the term parts cleaner thrown around and i have no idea what it is, and i cant seem to find anything about it. So, i was wondering if someone could tell me or show some pics of one of them?

Thanks

-bai

It's a heavy cleaner that deteriorates grease and dirt. Theres a brush with a tube connected and it flows the cleanet out of the end of the brush. Some of them are heated and work excellent

It's a special kitchen sink for cleaning motorcycle engine parts that's only required if you're married.

It's a special kitchen sink for cleaning motorcycle engine parts that's only required if you're married.

Nah...it IS the kitchen sink when "she who must be obeyed" is not at home. :smirk:

• Like 1

Nah...it IS the kitchen sink when "she who must be obeyed" is not at home. :smirk:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has cleaned motorcycle parts in the kitchen sink..... :smirk:

A Parts Cleaner is the youngest, least mechanically able member of the household who is given the dirty duty of cleaning parts so that those who are able to understand how to put it all back together may do so without getting their hands dirty.

At my house, it's my 15 yr old daughter.

I have OCD, nobody cleans parts good enough for me. :smirk:

Agreed....Cleaning ones' parts is a rather personal thing. I couldn't imagine a stranger scrubbing my bits....well none that I'll admit to anyhow

I have OCD, nobody cleans parts good enough for me. :smirk:

Me too....that's why it's the old rule of "If at first you don't succeed, try try again"!

Hahaha! I LOLed out loud, thanks I needed that

There are smaller versions of that kitchen sink that look like a paint can with a small basket inside, obviously meant for soaking medium-small parts.

You know what actually works better than the kitchen sink?

The crock pot. Dump in greasy parts, add non-flammable cleaner of your choice (I like simple green) and dilute with water, set on low and allow to "cook" your parts for 6-8 hours.

Parts are clean. Wife is livid.

You can't please everyone.

haha i like that idea^^^ what all do you clean in a parts cleaner, sorry for my ignorance

I like the crock pot idea.

The dishwasher works good sometimes, too. Got that idea from a buddy who was preparing to sell a car. He put all of the little plastic interior bits in the dishwasher and they turned out amazing. Works especially well on the vents. When I tore down a recent used bike purcahase and threw the side panels and shrouds in, my wife just shook her head.