Sign in to follow this  

Dumb question about sag

When you set your sag, are you supposed to sit on the bike or stand up and lean forward slightly? My sag is set at almost 4 inches when sitting, but when I stand up, the rear raises and effectively changes the sag. Some articles say stand and some say sit. So which way is right for a dual sported DRZ?

Well....a difference of opinion.

Standing on the pegs, fully geared up in the "attack" position.

First measurement is with the bike on a stand, no load on the suspension

Second measurement is with the suspension static loaded. You...full gear...sitting or standing..whatever you'd like... you want to load the suspension without bouncing.

sorry, i thought this thread was about my wifes breasts. my mistake, carry on.

:smirk::lol:

Seriously though, have you checked out the suspension tuning article in the Common Thread Reference page under the FAQ's? May help :smirk:

:smirk::lol:

Seriously though, have you checked out the suspension tuning article in the Common Thread Reference page under the FAQ's? May help :smirk:

Yes I have. In fact, I've read several article and posts on the internet and everybody has their own opinion. The thing that concerns me is that most articles say changing the sag by 10mm makes a huge difference. And that's why I asked my question IN A DRZ FORUM. I want the opinions of riders, not authors and researchers, as to which way works best.

Well....a difference of opinion.

Standing on the pegs, fully geared up in the "attack" position.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my answer. When I said "sit on it" I meant sitting forward on the seat, hands on the bars in a riding position, which would give a very similar balance point to standing. Personally, I find it easier to balance the bike while sitting like this for the measurement to be taken. If you are sitting in the middle of the seat it will really throw your numbers off. Even 1/4" change of sag will affect your steering.

A lot of guys prefer a Race Sag measurement of 3 3/4" for the DRZ, and that's where I ride mine. You'll find your number based on how you ride, trail conditions, and even your front tire choice, but you'll definitely be in the 90 mm ~ 100 mm area. And you'll find there's some variation in your measurements from one time to the next because of the stickiness of the seals on the shock. If you bounce down with all your weight and then measure, you'll find the bike sits lower by a good 1/8" then if you carefully settle your weight into the suspension.

In the Suspension Technical Articles forum there are some very interesting posts from engineers and suspension designers. Many end by saying the final number is what you like, not what somebody else uses. But the numbers will always be very close. All suspension tuning is trial and error: ride it, fiddle with it, ride, fiddle with... If you can enjoy suspension tuning as part of learning how to ride better, then it'll just be another part of the challenge of riding.

And this isn't a dumb question. Sag matters and most "how to's" don't really go into the "where do I put my weight" issue.

• Like 1

Fair enough. In that case, I would say you should set the sag based on whichever riding position you use most (sitting or standing). I set my sag while sitting because I don't stand much unless the terrain is rough. Unfortunately, suspension is another one of those topics that is highly subjective. When it comes to how you ride and how you want the suspension to behave, there's no right or wrong way. Try setting the sag both ways and see which one feels better.

I check mine sitting with my body postioned as I would when riding. I ride tight single track and I set my sag at 90mm (3.55") in an effort to try and get it to turn better.

Fair enough. In that case, I would say you should set the sag based on whichever riding position you use most (sitting or standing). I set my sag while sitting because I don't stand much unless the terrain is rough. Unfortunately, suspension is another one of those topics that is highly subjective. When it comes to how you ride and how you want the suspension to behave, there's no right or wrong way. Try setting the sag both ways and see which one feels better.

+1 ... if you never stand it makes no sense to set the sag while you're standing.