Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Rampart Range Singletrack

Last I heard they had most, if not all, of it flagged. Rod sent me some pics a while back. Looks like its going thru some beautiful country.

This link hasn't been updated in a while, so I'm guessing they've come a little further along since. http://rampartrange.org/pages/rampart_newtrail_0810.asp

If Rod sees this he'll chime in.

Glad to hear the Forest Service is done with the thinning and have reopened the trails they had closed off.

I know a lot of you have heard this before.

the Singletrack takes soooo dang long because it's all hand built. every mile of trail takes about 5 miles of hiking. Up until late last summer, we couldn't even put tires on it (although there are people POACHING it, and it's a $275 fine if they get caught). As the crow flies, we are 6/10s of a mile from where we left off to an existing trail, yet after pin flagging that last bit, my GPS read 3.6 miles walked. So it takes a while!

I rode most of it last Oct and got caught in a snow storm. 4 inches of snow on a trail that is little more than a scratch in the dirt is an experience. But it's not an adventure until something goes wrong...right?

So, After personally spending 60 hours on the ground last summer, and another 10 or so thus far since the snow melted, we have around 8 miles constructed, and are about 1 trail mile or so from meeting an existing trail.

Really great news is we have the Youth Corps for up to 12 weeks this summer, which means young, strong slave labor:smirk: They will have two groups out as early as Tomorrow 5/31. It will take them a few days to get in the groove but they can build quite a bit of trail in a day with 5-8 people swinging Pulaskis.

I *think* the second section will go faster, it should be shorter (we are building/opening sections between existing trails) I expect we can open the first 8-9 mile section in late June and have the second section late summer.

No I can't tell you where it is yet, NO we don't have "new" maps that show the singletrack. If it's on the map, guys will try to ride it and it ain't a trail yet:p

Keep up the great work Rod! :smirk: Look forward to riding it!!!

Thanks from us!

Dave and Michael

PS to the poachers....karma is a bitch.

PS to Poachers, I have a demon inside me....:smirk:

Rod, are you building any kind of barriers to entry? I would be happy to help if you need it, plus I need the exercise. My old Army days taught me to be creative :smirk: PM me if so. One comment if there are barriers we (meaning Ill help) should put some serious effort into extending those so that it doesn't end up like the Gilsonite trail :prof:

Rod, are you building any kind of barriers to entry? I would be happy to help if you need it, plus I need the exercise. My old Army days taught me to be creative :smirk: PM me if so. One comment if there are barriers we (meaning Ill help) should put some serious effort into extending those so that it doesn't end up like the Gilsonite trail :prof:

Pinch gates, post and cable for starters. The trail is 90%+ side hill. Not fun on an ATV/UTV and a pretty steep "psychological" buffer even riding a bike. Most of the trail is STEEEP, the penalty for failure is a lot of huffing and puffing, dragging and cussing. It would take a ton of work, and lots of wood cutting to get an ATV into most of it.

On the plus side, it will keep the quads off and the sound down. On the negative, it does not lend itself to "flow" or "tight" (as in weaving in-out of trees)

Pinch gates, post and cable for starters. The trail is 90%+ side hill. Not fun on an ATV/UTV and a pretty steep "psychological" buffer even riding a bike. Most of the trail is STEEEP, the penalty for failure is a lot of huffing and puffing, dragging and cussing. It would take a ton of work, and lots of wood cutting to get an ATV into most of it.

On the plus side, it will keep the quads off and the sound down. On the negative, it does not lend itself to "flow" or "tight" (as in weaving in-out of trees)

Sounds great, again if you need help PM me.

I hear a hysterical laugh coming from obgod3's direction!!!

Youth Corps finished the first section. I *think* the work party this Saturday is going to try to install pinch gates this weekend. Do not know if the public can put tires on it this weekend or not.

We are close....:ride:

Youth Corps finished the first section. I *think* the work party this Saturday is going to try to install pinch gates this weekend. Do not know if the public can put tires on it this weekend or not.

This is awesome news, I can't wait to try it out when its ready. Is it multi directional, or one way traffic only? I'm not a big fan of some of the blind corner single track that isn't one way.

Rod when it is ready will there be a way to know and directions? I asume you'll let us know here?

I am happy to help with military grade obstacle for those on quads :lol:....Just kidding...well kind of.

This is a tough one. At least for now, It's got to be a two way trail. This first section is as far south as you can get and still be in the Rampart. Heck, it's actually closer to Rainbow Falls than to the north entrance. EVENTUALLY the whole loop will go from Flat Rock Campground, way down south then back up around Watson Park.

This is the problem with all the trails in the Rampart. Which way do you want to run them? They were never set up as "loops" they were old mining trails, game trails and guys saying "lets go that way". As much as everyone would love 1-way trails...what do you do if you get a mile in and it's over your kids head? He can't turn around, right? What if you break down 2 miles in...do you have to push 17 more miles? Which way do you route Devils slide? uphill or downhill? If you thinks speeds are high now...wait until guys think there is no chance for oncoming traffic!

I know it seems simple, but it's not, especially with the county road, you can't use it as a "trail" since it's illegal if you are not plated. We'll have the same issue on this trail. I guarantee there will be people the first year that will be really uncomfortable on this trail (I was) and will want to turn back.

But right now the first section will go from an existing trail to a road, so unplated bikes really won't have an option.

For now, there are not a lot of blind corners and it is very steep guys won't be carrying a lot of speed. I'm serious when I say, this is probably an expert level trail until it gets burned in. Guys will be forced to keep the speed down.

This looks deceiving (pics always do) but that side slope is steepACF8C59.jpg

Edited by Rodzilla

Not sure if there is much else to be done, but if there is let me know if I can help. I will be out of town this weekend but next I'm available.

A friend just told me he read on Ramparts Facebook page that a new 8 mile section was opened today. No more info than that. I assume it's the new trail we're talking about here.