Flagstaff, AZ - New Rider

Arizona

Hi guys. I just moved out to Flagstaff from NJ, and I brought along my 2005 YZ250. I have no idea where to ride (or where you are and aren't allowed to ride) and was wondering if anyone from the area has any suggestions? I am into any type of riding, trails, sand, track, etc. I am 24 years old, and really looking to explore the area and experience the new types of riding that AZ has to offer. Anyone wanna ride?

Probably best overview, do a search. South and west mountain there is the Peaks loop, sometimes gnarly single track. Wing mountain loop is tamer and alot of fun. Airport loop south of town. East mountain is in flux, mostly closed down west of 89 due to fire and floods. East of 89 open but alot of cinders, kinda like sand, but you can ride deep into the Rez, all the way to grand falls, Cameron and beyond.

Oh, yeah, only half-assed track I'm aware of is in the cinder hills, 89 north. Not a real track but somebody put in a small doubles.

I am also unfamiliar on the laws for bikes here. Being that I have a strictly "offroad" bike (no headlight, tail light,license plate, etc.) where am I allowed to actually ride at? I do have the original certificate of origin, is there anything I should do at a motor vehicle commission title wise? Thanks for the help.

Don't know about title. Offroad requires an OHV tag for like $25. On-road to connect trails, get to trail, etc. is like $5. Chect ADOT website for details. Upgrades for street-legal are miminal, even for 2-strokes.

Oh, ya, welcome to Az, move fast, we're rapidly be'ing Californicated.

Welcome to Flagstaff! What part of Flag do you live in now? I usually ride multiple times a week when I can but this summer I'm up in Idaho playing around. I'll be back when the new semester starts though.

Check these guys out http://coconinotrailriders.org/blog.htm They are a good group of guys to go riding with. They even have GPS tracks of various trails around the Flagstaff area listed on their site.

Another site you should check out is arizonatrailtalk.com It's an arizona exclusive trail riding forum. Theres usually people (especially during the summer) looking for riding partners in the Flagstaff area.

As far as your track desires, there's a few little backwoods tracks but I couldn't even begin to describe how to get to them. The closest MX track is Verde Valley (when it's open) and then the next closest is Canyon in north Phoenix.

Hope this helps some,

Janik

Hey. I will actually be living about 5 min west of flag in bellemont. And I will be going to nau starting this fall. ( going back for masters) Where abouts in flag are you? Any time you wanna get out for a ride, let me know. I've been itching to go on my first ride in AZ.

I live on campus actually and I store my bikes and gear at my parents house in Cheshire. Works easy enough that way.

You can ride from Bellemont out to Wing Mtn and ride the single track loop. I'm not sure exactly which roads you take but I've had friends do that before. The airport loop is close to you as well, just off the west end of the runway. I would normally show you were but like I said, I won't be back until august.

What are you getting your masters in? I'm working on my B.S. in M.E.

I live on campus actually and I store my bikes and gear at my parents house in Cheshire. Works easy enough that way.

You can ride from Bellemont out to Wing Mtn and ride the single track loop. I'm not sure exactly which roads you take but I've had friends do that before. The airport loop is close to you as well, just off the west end of the runway. I would normally show you were but like I said, I won't be back until august.

What are you getting your masters in? I'm working on my B.S. in M.E.

Gotcha. I will be living with my Gf in a townhouse with a garage in bellemont so hopefully here will be some nice local trails. And I will actually be working for the dept. Of homeland security at the airport. I have a bs in business and going back for my masters in forestry. I'll be starting classes probably the same as you in august. We will def have to meet up when you get back in the area for some riding. Do you snowboard, mtn. Bike, wakeboard, or anything?

You are on it, as far as flag is concerned. Look up Wing Mtn on the map. Peaks loop across the HWY!

I worked at Snowbowl for the past few years so I would snowboard all the time. I don't do too much mtn biking (don't have a good bike). I've been wake boarding a few times, it's so much fun but I only know 1 person with a boat unfortunately and he doesn't go out often.

The forestry building is next to the engineering building on campus, good ol' south campus degrees.

Is that fire getting close to Flag? Hoping to get out there soon....before it burns again!

Nope, the Wallow Fire is way far away.

Side question, do you guys suggest getting a JD jet kit for changing my jetting from sea level up to the 7k ft. elevation?

Spark arrestor... Mandatory in the forest!

JD worked for me, many feel stock jetting, too lean at sea level, works fine at 7k.

i live 35 minutes south of Flag and wouldnt mind seeing what the single track is like up there. mostly ride dez and track though.

I've got a few weeks off in August and might make a trip to Flagstaff during that time. Anybody out there that wants to ride for a couple days?

I will be going up some time in August as well 17th and 18 or 24th and 25th is what I am shooting for.

Looks like it is going to be Aug 13th and 14 if anyone is interested.