Sign in to follow this  

picked up a 06 rm-z450 today!!

Hello again everyone, I'm not new here but new to the suzuki 450 scene. I just got my 450 today seems to be in pretty nice shape. Now for the questions. I am going to check the cam chain tension today before I take it out and grease the chain. I know you probably get asked this question alot but I couldnt find anything by searching. Just wondering what else I should do to a new to me used bike that I really have no idea what the history is. Its easy for buddy to say anything but really it hasnt been done. Just looking for some maintenance I should do or things to check:ride:. thanks!

Change the oil, including the filter and screens, look for metal shavings and whatnot in the oil. (just to detect a problem early if possible) Drain the coolant and put whatever you want to run in there, this way you know what is in there when it comes time to refill/top off. And the normal things, just give the bike a good look over..make sure something isn't "combobbled" together and that everything is the way it is supposed to be. Clean the air filter if its dirty. Check the chain and sprockets, but i guess these are just normal things to check all the time. A lot of times people abuse bikes before they sell them though, or let things slide because they know they arent going to be owning it much longer, and its not their problem.

thanks for the reply Miller618.

thats exactly why i really dont like buying used bikes and quads and whatnot without knowing who owned them previously. But I got a pretty wicked deal on this one and dont plan on getting rid of it to soon. Thanks for the info I'm going to grab the bike now and do some work on it and some looking at. Hopefully I can find where everthing is haha. thanks again:worthy:

A valve clearance check would be a good thing too. I got a new to me 06 in Jan and tore the entire suspension down and re greased everything. It was ok, but it needed grease so now I'm good for a while. If you do a search on here for a manual, there is one online to download for free. That's where I got mine. Good luck! Hope I get to ride mine soon. I pinched a nerve in my neck and have been off work for two months so far and not sure how long until I go back, let alone how long until I get on the bike!

that sucks! I took the bike out tonight after a quick inspection. It ran great me and my sister on her little 150 were playing in the mud. After we were done we were washing them down and her bike fell over and broke her clutch lever haha. now I need to hit the store tomorrow morning. The bike ran awesome!

A valve clearance check would be a good thing too. I got a new to me 06 in Jan and tore the entire suspension down and re greased everything. It was ok, but it needed grease so now I'm good for a while. If you do a search on here for a manual, there is one online to download for free. That's where I got mine. Good luck! Hope I get to ride mine soon. I pinched a nerve in my neck and have been off work for two months so far and not sure how long until I go back, let alone how long until I get on the bike!

Do all of the linkages before you get it too dirty as Tailender suggests and re do them every couple of months to keep the suspension good. :smirk:

Spokes! Dont forget to make sure theyre tight. I picked up my 06 last year and unfortunately did everything else except that and snapped two in the rear. :smirk:

Spokes! Dont forget to make sure theyre tight. I picked up my 06 last year and unfortunately did everything else except that and snapped two in the rear. :smirk:

^+1 i try to check mine all the time. but i also forget..almost all the time. haha.

So I've had the bike out a few times just around the farm and I love it! good bike handles really well. I've done most checks and I'm taking the bike out west to do some trail riding next weekend and just wondering for some pre-ride checks or anything I should double/triple check before I take out any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance