I want to race! Where?

Washington

Are there any off road races, hare scrambles, or Grand Prix type events coming up in WA between June 21st and July 11th?

I did some searching and checked the calendar in this forum. I found only one event scheduled in WA:

"Toasted Hare HS":

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/event/show/22583853

It's been 10 years since I've raced anything except MX, so I'd like to try out some off-road stuff while I'm home for R&R.

If your okay with driving to Oregon there is three events going on I think

devils head isde last weekend of June

ultra gp/scramble same weekend as devils head

lobos isde July 10th

check omraoffroad.com for more

Devils head is a 100 mile ISDE event at (probably) the most technical and steepest terrain in the state. I think you should enter that one!

Check out the Funky Chicken. I've yet to do it, but everyone raves about it.

Devils head is a 100 mile ISDE event at (probably) the most technical and steepest terrain in the state. I think you should enter that one!

Check out the Funky Chicken. I've yet to do it, but everyone raves about it.

Both are great events! The Devils Head is at ESF stagged at Diamond Mill. It is public land so ya you could go ride it any time but it is nice to have a course laid out, one way traffic, and sweep riders if there is a problem. Plus it is an ISDE and they are always cool. The Funky chicken is on private Property, this is your only chance to ride some very choice singletrack. The ETRA crew sets up one of teh best courses I have seen and staff the event very well. I helped work this event a couple years back and this is a first class event.

Joe.........

Toasted Hare in Bellingham is a fun one. Some tight stuff with some moto. :smirk:

JoeMc, thanks for the links, "Funky Chicken" looks like exactly what I'm in search of. Unfortunately, it's about 10 days too soon, I won't be home until June 21.

Tommy B, where can I find information on the "Ultra GP/Scramble"? I searched google and came up with nothing useful.

Devil's head looks interesting. How does that ISDE format work? I've never done a true enduro with timekeeping, etc.

Pincushion, I like the sound of that technical stuff, I grew up riding the trails of WA and I still do some trail riding when I'm home.

I found this on youtube, it looks awesome!

Toasted Hare in Bellingham is a fun one. Some tight stuff with some moto. :smirk:

And Enduro-X too!!

you can also check the OMRA forum for race info and schedule

http://www.omraoffroad.com/calendar.htm

lots of fun races but not many going on durring your time frame.:smirk:

JoeMc, thanks for the links, "Funky Chicken" looks like exactly what I'm in search of. Unfortunately, it's about 10 days too soon, I won't be home until June 21.

Tommy B, where can I find information on the "Ultra GP/Scramble"? I searched google and came up with nothing useful.

Devil's head looks interesting. How does that ISDE format work? I've never done a true enduro with timekeeping, etc.

Pincushion, I like the sound of that technical stuff, I grew up riding the trails of WA and I still do some trail riding when I'm home.

I found this on youtube, it looks awesome!

http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10354

http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

An ISDE is not a timekeeper enduro like the NMA time keepers.

You are assigned a minute. There are three riders per minute. In the morning data will be posted like you have X minutes to get to each check point. You do the math and figure out what time you should arrive at each check point. Arrive early or late and you get points. Also, there are special tests. As soon as you enter a special test you start getting points. For every minute you are in a special test you get points so go fast. The whole point is to get as few points as possible. There are a lot of rules to follow. Breaking a rule gets you points. Things like starting your bike in impound, letting other people work on your bike, speeding in the pits. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. They are fun, your not racing others you racing the clock.

Joe..........

Joe, thanks for the explaination and the link.

I really appreciate the info from all of you fellas. I'm motivated compete in some kind of off-road event while I'm home. You guys have helped me narrow it down to one of these three:

-ULTRA GP

-Toasted Hare

-Devil's Head ISDE

It's a real shame that they are all on the same date.

Regarding my gear... I currently have YZ250 two strokes that are both set up for motocross. I can deal with the firm suspension but I'll have to buy a spark arrestor for sure. Will I be able to compete in any of these races with a stock YZ250 fuel tank?

If I enter the ISDE, should I have a roll chart holder? Suggestions?

What other gear would an MX guy need to complete one of these events?

I dont think I would try the isde with a stock tank unless less the loops are under 45miles.

Roll chart isn't needed, I normally just right my times down on a piece of duct tape then stick it where I can easily see it.

You'll be fine for a race or two with a mx setup, only I'd add is some handguards and skid plate if you don't currently use them. Full wrap bark busters for devils head.

You could easily do the ultra GP on a stock tank. I think last year the poker run loops were right around 20 miles at the race you can pit for gas between laps if need be.