Fuel Mixture Screw set up...Proper RPM?

So my new TT extended fuel mixture screw is on the way (old one was gone when I bought the bike) and Clymer tells how to set it up. So my ? is, since I don't have a tach, is an educated guess going to be good enough (I have done a lot of engine work on cars and can estimate pretty close to 1500) to set the screw or must I go get a tach (don't want to, I am tight with $) or should I just turn it out the 2.5 to 3 turns as is normally suggested and go?

just do as suggested and let and set idle screw just above bogging but idling smooth.

just do as suggested and let and set idle screw just above bogging but idling smooth.

Thanks for all your help DVirg, I called and they added the washer, o-ring, and spring no problem. Went ahead and got the case covers while I was at it.

cool.. yw.

When adjusting the fuel screw, do so at the slowest engine speed possible. You slow the engine down with the black knob. Then set the fuel screw to make the engine run as fast and smooth as you can. You may have to reduce engine speed again via the black knob, then again, tweak the fuel screw. When the engine is running as slow as it can via the black knob and as smooth and as fast as it can with the fuel screw, the fuel screw adjustment is done. No need to adjust it again unless the temp or altitude changess drastically. Finish up by raising the idle speed via the black knob to appx. 1,850 rpm.

+1 ..i think william means white knob on mikuni,unless i'm lost .. but you probably knew that.

When adjusting the fuel screw, do so at the slowest engine speed possible. You slow the engine down with the black knob. Then set the fuel screw to make the engine run as fast and smooth as you can. You may have to reduce engine speed again via the black knob, then again, tweak the fuel screw. When the engine is running as slow as it can via the black knob and as smooth and as fast as it can with the fuel screw, the fuel screw adjustment is done. No need to adjust it again unless the temp or altitude changess drastically. Finish up by raising the idle speed via the black knob to appx. 1,850 rpm.

I'm with ya, white knob on mine. Thanks...I haven't heard of that way before. I assume engine is fully warm first, no? :smirk:

and start with the mixture screw lightly seated?

Sorry, yes, white knob on the BSR, black on the FCR.

Yes, fuly heated like after a ten minute ride. Start at the 2 turn point.

If closed, the bike will/should not idle at all!