anyone spray painted plastics?

wondering if anyone out there has spray painted plastics and if you need a clear coat for it. Or is not worth it and just get new plastics because look like @#$%:smirk:

wondering if anyone out there has spray painted plastics and if you need a clear coat for it. Or is not worth it and just get new plastics because look like @#$%:smirk:

If you take your time, and you know how to paint...the plastics will look awesome! For about 15 minutes into your first ride...:smirk:

If you take your time, and you know how to paint...the plastics will look awesome! For about 15 minutes into your first ride...:smirk:

+1.....:smirk:..yeah a person could paint plastic and it would look good for just a little bit........just get some new plastic and be done......

....worst idea ever...i know because other people have had the same idea and ive seen the results....please dont do it.

Just dont crash and/or always lead the pack.

Don't paint the plastics it will look crappy really quick just buy a new set

I've painted plastics like rear disc guard and little stuff like that. Lots of prep, multiple coats and clear coat. It does chip off but not too much. Just spray more on. I wouldn't paint big stuff like fenders or shrouds

if you spray with plastic primer first and use same color oil base paint they will last alot longer!

it looks terrible in 5 seconds...worse than if you just dealt with some crappy looking stuff

search it on the internet, but there is plastic paint that actually bonds with the plastics ive dont it before, sand them then go over them with an air compressor then a wet paper towel then an air compressor again this will ensure you have no bits left over, put on a decent fisrt layerthen touch it up, if you wana add extra shine/protection you can use some clear coat but it looks plenty gloss and holds up well without.

ps mud looks good too

Dont do this i have tried and it never works it collects dirt and chips.

alright guys i definitely will not do it now. thanks for the advice. looks like i will have to just spend money and get plastics.

I recently painted the plastics on my wife's bike. We used a special paint for plastics called "Krylon Fusion". It worked pretty good! Take your time though. I lightly sanded the plastics before painting. Then clean it REALLY good.

paint em, use the plastic type paint. it works great. take your time. prep is key like amtzzero says. it works.

I recently painted the plastics on my wife's bike. We used a special paint for plastics called "Krylon Fusion". It worked pretty good! Take your time though. I lightly sanded the plastics before painting. Then clean it REALLY good.

thats what I do for the little plastic bits like radiator louver things, engine guards, etc and it holds up for a pretty long time.

Go to a hobby store, like HobbytownUSA, and look for model paints. The plastic bodies on R/C cars and trucks take a real beating, but the paint can last. You're looking for a paint that is formulated specifically for polycarbonate plastics. Its extremly flexible and durable if prepped the correct way. It can be done, and my last bike proved it. I had an old XR350R with the side plates and headlight plastics painted in a color real close to the original Honda yellow (on red). When I sold the bike 2yrs later, there wasn't a single chip or scratch in the paint.

Go to a hobby store, like HobbytownUSA, and look for model paints. The plastic bodies on R/C cars and trucks take a real beating, but the paint can last. You're looking for a paint that is formulated specifically for polycarbonate plastics. Its extremly flexible and durable if prepped the correct way. It can be done, and my last bike proved it. I had an old XR350R with the side plates and headlight plastics painted in a color real close to the original Honda yellow (on red). When I sold the bike 2yrs later, there wasn't a single chip or scratch in the paint.

RC car bodies are usually clear and painted from the inside out...so the paint is more protected.

I painted my headlight shell and airbox door with Krylon Fusion, They looked awesome for 6 months, OK for about a yr and a half now I just don't pay them much mind as they are just plastics and the 250X has become a buddy bike.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59108garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=58670

Autozone, high heat ceramic brake rotor/drum paint

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=58676

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=58675

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=58677

Rotor and fork gds, mud flap, and brake line clamps dyed with Rit fabric dye

These pics taken right after the 3 month of tinkering in the garage (broken arm...no riding)

I have cleared plastic with good results. Adhesion promoter and then clear. There is never going to be enough flex agent to keep it on a fender in a super spill, but it can't be looked at in the sun......too glossy!

I have never seen a tank painted that yielded good long term results.

Wow Jake, that looks really good!! Nice work!