CA Street Legal XR650R??

I have recently heard that you can't convert an XR 650R into a street legal bike in CA. Is this true? Are ther certain model years where that can be legally converted?

what year

I guess I'm wondering what the law is because I'm looking to buy and this is an important aspect.

Thanks

If its not street legal already, its not going to happen.

Search the Cali thread. There's been lots of posts on this.

Your only hope is to be able to buy an out of state plated bike and transfer the title, and even that's not guaranteed. That, or find a DMV that doesn't care about the rules and issue a plate anyway. Something a lot of people have used as reason for why it's "allowed" in CA, even though it never has been legal because many people have been getting their plates revoked.

Buy one that was legally converted before the deadline.

What he said! I have seen many in the low 3k range.

What he said! I have seen many in the low 3k range.

I agree with both of these knuckleheads, Do not waste time or money going after "Trying" to convert. Sure, people have had luck with a dumb DMV employee, but time is not on their side. It will catch up and hit them soon enough. You can find them, they are out there. My first DS was a 2003 XR400R, great bike but I was horny for the magic button. After drooling over Neversurfaced's 08 TE450 talking to other owners and then George Erl (AKA Husky Guru,Up-tite Husqvarna in Santa Ana), I went and humped on one for me. Since then I have a Husky sickness and own three. It may never stop. :smirk: But yah, do not try and convert, buy converted from day one. Anything after 2004 forget it!

What to look for.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2396474716.html

Edited by PALMER84ONE

I'm rebuilding a very nicely optioned XRR with a plate, let me know if you are interested as I will most likely be putting it up for sale when I'm done.