Time to upgrade/downgrade

I have a '95 DR350S. I really like the bike. I mostly ride off road, easy fireroads, easy single track. Long day trips. I dont ride road, only to get to the backcountry. I dont jump either, but I do go up some rough stuff.

I want a lighter bike for the tight trails. In looking at the 250s that are out, the only one out there that is decently lighter, plus good power/torque is the Honda CRF250X. I would have to get a kit to make it a dual sport though.

So I am a big guy. 6'2" 230lbs. The DR has more than enough nuts for my type of riding. The CRF250X looks good on paper, but...

What d'yall think?

KTM 300 XCW

Lighter more power than any of the ones mentioned easy to DS

Honda CRF250X. I would have to get a kit to make it a dual sport though.

if you're thinking you can dualsport any offroad bike in BC, you should check with icbc, rules have changed, not in your favor.

maybe a husky 310 or other factory dualsport euro bike, if you have the cash.

imo, check out the DRZ400, change the seat, gear to your requirements, cheap parts, lots of info.

DRZ400? Ahhh no - I am looking for lighter bike.

I'd be buying used, one that already has papers. ICBC is honouring the papers of dirt bikes already registered.

Some dude in van is selling a TE310 $8000. Nice bike. Stupid price.

A KTM 400 EXC would be a good choice if you can find a nice used one with a plate.

Found a barely used 2008 450EXC. 40lbs lighter than what I got. Factory legal.

I just used up my last left nut.

Found a barely used 2008 450EXC. 40lbs lighter than what I got. Factory legal.I just used up my last left nut.

:lol::smirk::lol: Ouch!!

From your post you sounded more like an older, more moderate rider ... not a racer. The EXC is a race bike, high performance, very high maintenance and no where as reliable as your DR350.

A Great bike for sure ... but if you do long rides it will cripple you. None of these mooks here do long rides or ride on the road. All wanna be moto cross hero's.

BTW, the CRF250X is great on a moto track or under a pro but tough in technical and steep conditions by novice riders. I've ridden with several that have gotten stuck on moderate climbs I made on my XR250R.

BUT ...if you were 19 years old and grew up on 125 two strokes ... then OK, the CRF250 would be great. You have to rev the nuts off it to make it go ... likes to be ridden aggressively too.

Come to think of it ... the KTM 450 EXC is pretty much like that too ... that is,

it works better (front end sticks better, rails turn better) when you go fast and aggressive and stay ON the power. Remember KTM's motto ...

"Ready To Race". :smirk:

I've ridden the 450 KTM all over the Black Rock Desert and loved it ... but I'm riding much different than you are. I even jump! (God forbid!)

Small, light, street legal and Cheap? Pick two! :prof: I was going to suggest the Yam WR250R. But for a guy your size maybe the KTM is best?

Great motor, fabulous handling ... but don't doodle it ... get on it and GO!! The Power will blow your mind. Great torque ... and as a NON racer, that is what I would suggest using. TORQUE.

Do the maintenance and pray a lot. Trust me, it ain't no Suzuki.

Yeah sure - I guess now after reading what you say, I'll go and return it. :smirk:

I like the KTM. Good power, way lighter than what I had, handles quite nicely. I dont have to jump it or race the effin thing to enjoy it.

WR250R - cant you read? I said "lighter". God why do I expose myself to this crap.

Be sure to give us a ride report when you can. The way you ride sounds like how I ride. I own a 98 DR 350se and a 06 DRZ 400s, both modded and enjoy them. Was thinking of buying a DR 650 next to reach out and scout some trails farther away. Glad you like the KTM.:smirk:

Yeah sure - I guess now after reading what you say, I'll go and return it. :smirk:

I like the KTM. Good power, way lighter than what I had, handles quite nicely. I dont have to jump it or race the effin thing to enjoy it.

WR250R - cant you read? I said "lighter". God why do I expose myself to this crap.

cuz you're a richard? :smirk:

You describe the riding you do (putt putt) , ask for advice, then bitch when someone points out you bought a HIGH maintenance race bike to putt around on. GOOD JOB!!!

Have fun working on the bike!!

And give us a butt report after your first all day ride. :prof:

whats wrong with a plated XR250R?

whats wrong with a plated XR250R?

DR350 to XR250??

Why?

DR350 to XR250??

Why?

The XR250R (post '97) is a better off road bike. Great woods bike, great in technical stuff. Wide ratio 6 speed box means highway cruising is not bad.

The DR350 is a better road bike for sure but not close off road unless you are talking mild fire roads or easy two track. My XR went everywhere and in the woods was as good as my '07 WR250F.

No more "junk posts" from me!

Edited by 54321

Ignoring all the junk posts.

yeah, I really think this KTM will fit my needs. I wanted a lighter bike and it is way lighter. Great handling too. Easy to manage throttle. Its sweet.

As for the seat - there is this thing called "aftermarket". Enduro Engineering has some highly recommended ones.

Changin the oil every 10-15 hrs doesn't bug me.

Yeah sure - I guess now after reading what you say, I'll go and return it. :smirk: I like the KTM. Good power, way lighter than what I had, handles quite nicely. I dont have to jump it or race the effin thing to enjoy it. WR250R - cant you read? I said "lighter". God why do I expose myself to this crap.
hey Einstein, did you miss what I said about the KTM? what a jerk. You're on my list Bub. Enjoy your 2 month long Canadian riding season A** clown, I'll be in Mexico ... in January.
cuz you're a richard? :smirk:

You describe the riding you do (putt putt) , ask for advice, then bitch when someone points out you bought a HIGH maintenance race bike to putt around on. GOOD JOB!!!

Have fun working on the bike!!

And give us a butt report after your first all day ride. :prof:

Really! Some guys here are such spoiled brats. You try to help and they bitch you out. This guy is done here.

Yall are dicks. He got a nice bike. Just do the maintenance and you will be fine. And yea u will need a new aftermarket seat.

must be that time of the month...