General consensus on good quality and least expensive supermoto conversion wiring?

Edit: The title Prob should have just said street conversion wiring...

My supermoto has very basic enduro lighting and wiring harness on it. Now that I have a nice headlight and turn signals, and one of those handel bar switches with the blue LED on it (don't know the make of it as many companies seem to use them in their conversion kits) its time to throw a real deal wiring harness on the bike. (Also i have E-start) What is the forum's general consensus on the best and most cost effective premade wire harness setup??

Thanks,

Nate

Edited by NateZ426

Nobody?

My bike has very basic enduro lighting and wiring harness on it. Now that I have a nice headlight and turn signals, and one of those handle bar switches with the blue LED on it (don't know the make of it as many companies seem to use them in their conversion kits) its time to throw a real deal wiring harness on the bike. (Also i have E-start) What is the forum's general consensus on the best and most cost effective premade wire harness setup?? Bajadesigns or?

Thanks,

Nate

I like trick dual sport, try http://www.trickdualsport.com

Tusk kit or harness/switch from Rocky Mountain ATV is the best inexpensive one on the market. Hell, it's nearly as good as the most expensive one, and a good company to deal with as well.

+1 for Trick dual sport. Good service, quality product, priced well.

I pulled new wire in mine, designed my own light controller with a solid state flasher. No moving parts to break, pretty much vibration-proof. The only stock wires on the bike right now are for the crank position sensor and the ECU. All the lights are my wiring.

Baja designs states that my bike, a 2004 husky tc 450, which has a stock lighting coil and regulator, will not charge the battery once I install one of their harnesses without doing a mod to the stator and installing their regulator, however I have found no other harness manufacturer who states this (It would be the same as a KTM around this time period too they have the same systems) Anybody know if this is true or not? Makes me think I either they are the only ones who know this about the husky, or they are full of it and are trying to get me throw down $60 of a regulator i dont need...

Nate

Baja designs states that my bike, a 2004 husky tc 450, which has a stock lighting coil and regulator, will not charge the battery once I install one of their harnesses without doing a mod to the stator and installing their regulator, however I have found no other harness manufacturer who states this (It would be the same as a KTM around this time period too they have the same systems) Anybody know if this is true or not? Makes me think I either they are the only ones who know this about the husky, or they are full of it and are trying to get me throw down $60 of a regulator i dont need...

Nate

If it's anything like the KTM, it is true. I had 30 or 40 watts DC with the stock stator configuration and voltage regulator, since the stock light kit was designed to run off AC right from the stator. There's a ground lug on the stator splitting the windings into two halves, half for the DC side and the other half for the lights. By floating that ground and bringing the entire stator's output to DC, you can run the lights off DC. Because you've got a lot more power to rectify/regulate, the stock VR won't handle it... need a new VR. TrailTech makes one that'll take 150W, terminates to bare wires. Just put a replacement one of those on my bike. Don't necessarily need another stator (on KTMs anyways, yours may be different), but it won't work in the stock configuration; more load on the DC side than the system is capable of producing.

http://slorider.com/KTM/tech/Stator/TrailTech_conversion.pdf

Ok sounds good wanted hear it from someone other than the guy sellin it. And yes your ktm stator is the same K3 stator i have.

Nate

Ok sounds good wanted hear it from someone other than the guy sellin it. And yes your ktm stator is the same K3 stator i have.

Nate

I just rewound mine. Not too hard (or expensive) to do if you've got the patience and some electrical/mechanical knowledge.

DSC06223.jpg

DSC06433.jpg

Works, too! :smirk:

DSC06454.jpg

I'm in the same boat on my 450, I'm thinking to use like a wiring harness from a stock bike legal like a KTM, KLX, something that has all the wires on it i guess

why?

Just an update for everybody. I ended up going with a Baja designs harness. I just got it today, and I'm pretty impressed. Simple, really nice quality and the tech guys on the phone have been awesome both before i bought and after. They even had a key switch that interrupts the ignition too, and the harness already had a connector on it for that.

Nate

Got any pictures?

Here you go:

x2w4mf.jpg

I also got a brembo hydraulic brake switch, high capacity voltage reg and an ignition interrupting key switch. I already had a headlight, taillight and the same handlebar switch they use.

Nate