Sign in to follow this  

Tm300

What would be a fair asking price for a good shape 2003 TM300? I am completely unfamiliar with this bike but the one I am looking to buy looks and sounds good, I just have no idea what it is worth. Does it seem that it would be worth $1000 to $1500?

sounds about right.

Ok, thanks.

The guy is asking 1200.00 and I was curious if that is decent for an 8 yr old unknown ride.

Do you or anyone here own one that might be able to share some information on it...reliability, handling, fun factor, general stuff?

I rode that exact bike once (a friends) but it was having some jetting issues. I was not wild over it but a good bit of that was the erratic running. Not sure if they are all this way but is had little bottom end and a huge rush of power mid-top, was hard to control int he slick trail. Bike seemed OK but not something I would look for and i buy odd bikes like ATK and husky all the time. Hopefully someone with a real long term experience will chime in.

These guys are TM heads you might call and ask them.

http://www.watsonperformance.com/

I will likely take a look tomorrow...I will have to go on what I see and maybe I will make an offer, and we will see. I rode KX250's for 10 years so I am kinda curious what an extra 50cc means. I will bear that idea in mind about it being explosive mid range in trails...sure not excited about that.

Also, I do not know if it is the mx edition or the enduro...the guy did not know either so...well let me ask, is there some easy way to tell from the outside?

The current TM's fuel tanks are different colors. EN =clear/white; MX =black. Properly jetted TM300's are very strong runners ( somewhere between a 250 on steroids and a tone downed 500) and are quite reliable. Call Pete Vetrano the TM importer 909-608-0082. Pete has plenty of experience with the '94-'03 and '11 TMs. Pete often answers the phone himself and will have no problem talking to you or giving you good advice. BTW, $1200 for an '03 2t 300cc bike is a very reasonable price unless it is really trashed.

The current TM's fuel tanks are different colors. EN =clear/white; MX =black. Properly jetted TM300's are very strong runners ( somewhere between a 250 on steroids and a tone downed 500) and are quite reliable. Call Pete Vetrano the TM importer 909-608-0082. Pete has plenty of experience with the '94-'03 and '11 TMs. Pete often answers the phone himself and will have no problem talking to you or giving you good advice. BTW, $1200 for an '03 2t 300cc bike is a very reasonable price unless it is really trashed.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind...all of it. For now, I am having a dickens of a time connecting with the seller so it may or may not happen. I am curious to see the bike.

The pix I saw you cannot tell the tank color at all, just the tank shrouds. Are there any other telltale signs between Moto and Enduro?

Since we didnt cross paths today, he said we can meet on Tuesday...I will spend some quality google time finding out more about this bike.

Know of any websites that are pretty intensely TM?

They are great bikes. That year probably has ohlins shock and forks or paioli's up front. Clutch is AJP,Grimeca,but Brembo can be used.

EN=enduro:like 18" rear wheel,lights,wide ratio trans,softer suspension-some had larger tanks.

MX= 19" rear wheel,close ratio trans,no lights,but some coils have lighting capability.

There are some other slight differences like silencer and primary gear,but motor wise-EN and MX are very similar.

If you want info-right here is a good spot. Use the search function and you will find past posts regarding TM's. All years are good.The bikes are built extremely well and are easy to tune and repair.

Did you get the Bike? I have a 2000, so it will be pretty close to your bike. I have found that they tend to have two powerbands. I can put around with the kids all day, or twist it and go. It doesn't have the low end of a ktm, but yet I have never stalled it and I don't use the clutch (much). Some people call them explosive and arm stretchers, but it is all about throttle control. Of course I was raised on the other TMs (Suzuki). They went bluba, bluba *exploded*, where as the Tms we are talking about go pull, pull, *ye ha*, for me they are a fun bike to ride, and thats wahts its all about :ride:.

If you needed it I have the paoli fork rebuild manual. It was in Italian, but I converted it to english.

I have just purchased a 2001 tm 300en. Dont know much about them. I researched it and found a little. I am wondering what is a good gas mixture for this bike. The guy I got it from ran it at 36to1. dont know if that is good. Also would like to know what is a good 2stroke oil for the bike and gear oil. If anyone could let me know, that would be great thanks

TM recommends using not less than 95 octane gas/fuel at a 30:1 mix, so you'll be looking for some kind of race gas/fuel supplier soon. You can buy say 100+ octane race gas and cut it 50/50 with 92 pump gas to be safe, but the Etahnol in pump gas is very unstable in a 2T mix( or any motorcycle use), so be forewarned.

TM uses Bel Ray H2R full syn 2T lube and Bel Ray Gear Saver 80w in the tranny. I use Golden Spectro SX2 Platinum full/syn 2T lube at 32:1 (4oz/gal) with no problem and Golden Spectro Cycle Gear Lube 80w in the tranny.

Here is the link to a 2010 TM 2T manual in English. Most/all of the engine info is relevant to your bike, the chassis stuff depends on the year/frame/fork/shock supplied etc. but is pretty accurate anyways.http://www.tmracing.it/public/downloads/2010/TM2010_UK - 2 tempi 250-300v2.pdf

We have the 2011 Tm 250 MX and run a mix of 93 and 100 oct. 50/50 with Amsoil Dominator mixed 40 to 1. The bike runs very well with this set up.

I run the Belray H2R at 40:1 with AV gas 100LL and the 80wt gear saver in my 2000. Just curious fallstoomuch, how easy is it to kick you bike over? When I got mine it fired 1st or second kick with tennis shoes. when I rebuilt it, I wouldn't even look at it with tennis shoes, still fires just as easy even when I drop it. I also have all the manuals for that year. Chasis, engine, ohlins shock and paoli fork.

They are great bikes. That year probably has ohlins shock and forks or paioli's up front. Clutch is AJP,Grimeca,but Brembo can be used.

EN=enduro:like 18" rear wheel,lights,wide ratio trans,softer suspension-some had larger tanks.

MX= 19" rear wheel,close ratio trans,no lights,but some coils have lighting capability.

There are some other slight differences like silencer and primary gear,but motor wise-EN and MX are very similar.

If you want info-right here is a good spot. Use the search function and you will find past posts regarding TM's. All years are good.The bikes are built extremely well and are easy to tune and repair.

are parts easy to get? expensive?

Parts for my 2000 300en were very easy to get and only a few $s more then the comparable big 4. I don't know about the recent new dealer, but Dan with Barker Bros has been a tremendous help for me. Even though I have four big dealers in my town, I still had to order most major parts for my other bikes, and the shipping time from Canada was usually within a couple of days. I don't recommend going the cross reference way on the major parts. However, as most of the mags have gotten into the TM bandwagon again, you notice that they all talk about the quality of the bike, which means that you will probably be replacing parts less :thumbsup:

I run the Belray H2R at 40:1 with AV gas 100LL and the 80wt gear saver in my 2000. Just curious fallstoomuch, how easy is it to kick you bike over? When I got mine it fired 1st or second kick with tennis shoes. when I rebuilt it, I wouldn't even look at it with tennis shoes, still fires just as easy even when I drop it. I also have all the manuals for that year. Chasis, engine, ohlins shock and paoli fork.

The guy I got it from said the top end was just done and only had bout 10hrs. on it. Yes my bike will start on second kick with tennis shoes on. but I just got it so havnt got to really trail ride it yet to see how it does. I dont think the guy ran 100av gas in the bike. think he just ran super unleaded gas 93 octane. Is it normal for the bike to vibrate. I have only had 4strokes so dont know much about 2strokes. I do know it halls some a%$. Thank you guys for all the info. I am sure I will like it. How is the low end torque on your bike. I do alot of 2 gear hill climbs so wondering how it would do. like I said havnt been able to test it out yet. cant wait to rip it up.

Hill climbs are kind of a hard type of question to answer. Everyone has a different type and style of terrain to deal with. This is the type of riding / hill climbing I do the most

drhillclimb.jpg

I do like to ride in the trees as well. We always camp at this spot when we go to the desert, so this hill is good test for us to compare bikes on (look closely, there are people on top). This bike is a DR350 that I put RM suspension on (fresh motor). I had to work it pretty good to get it up the hill. This hill is a good mix: sand at bottom, then sand/shale as it goes into lanes, then at the top everything. Hard base, with sand and shale, rutted and ledged lanes with rock from 6" dia to 3' dia.

I could make it most of the time (2nd gear), but if I got out of sync, not enough power to pull it out. My next bike was an 06Kx250F with a fairly beefy motor and a flywheel weight to smooth it out. Night and day difference (2nd gear).

Now 2000 TM300en fresh motor 15hrs. 2nd gear, What hill :thumbsup:, I actually climb it in 3rd and if i get in trouble a little clutch or kick it down.

Hands down, more power everywhere, but not as smooth at the mid hit :ride:.

Fallsdown, I would recommend that you pull the top end and check it (good for any new / used bike). It sounds kind of like mine when I bought it, PO said new top end, started easy in tennis shoes and ran great. After i pulled it down, it was a new top end, but out of spec.

Now thats its right with about 15hrs. on it, there's no way in hell I would try and start it in tennis shoes (I value my ensole too much). TMs tend to run VERY high compression, that is why fuel is critical. Also, while your in there, you can check out your lower end bearings and your powervalve.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm been called :ride: (anal) a fewww times. I have never bought a new bike. I get a bike, ride it a little, then take it to a bare frame and go through it. If the tranny shifts good, I just pull the topend and side covers to check bearings, then everything gets lubed replaced as needed. I may be called anal a few times, but I can't remember the last time I had a failure, or had to be towed back to camp :banana:

After you ride it a little, and if you want a little more down low let me know, and I can send you some info.