New Owner :) ?Couple Of Questions?

Hello everyone! As of a week ago I am proud owner of a 2000 DRZ 400S! I got an awesome deal on a bike thats practically new with only 1700 miles, and I couldn't be happier! After doing some research I figured the first thing I'll do is swap out the ACCT with a MCCT! Heard too many scary stories about these failing and I'd rather be safe then sorry! Since I will already be making a purchase on ThumperTalk, I figured I would ask you guys a few questions and meybe get a parts list of what I will need. Sorry if I seem a little demanding but shopping on here is a bit confusing for me. :smirk: If only I knew as much about motorcycles as I do about cars lol. Im looking to do the 3x3 mod, add an exhaust, and rejet the bike as I'm sure it does wonders to the machine! Im not quite sure what kind of exhaust I will be getting, whether it be a full exhaust with header or just a slip on exhaust. Will the jetting need to be different depending upon what exhaust I get? Can I do the 3x3 mod right now, rejet the bike accordingly, and then run the same setup if i decide to put on an exhaust in the future? Or do I need to do everything at once and change the jetting after putting on the exhasut? I'm assuming a stage 2 jet kit will be the right one, since i will be swapping the exhaust in the future? If so what parts will I need? Oh btw I am in Chicago and the mean elevation here is 586 feet above seal level! Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am eager to get this project done so the bike can do what it does best, ride!

Thanks

Matt

Slip-ons don't do anything but add noise. Go full system or stay with stock.

Grab a James Dean Jet Kit #JDS005 and Keintech extended fuel screw and you'll have everything needed to jet for the stock exhaust or an aftermarket open full exhaust. You can do the 3x3 and jet now but you will need to swap the main jet if you go to an aftermarket exhaust later. Its less work to do them at the same time.

Hey Matt...

Welcome to the TT party....:smirk:

Here is a list of mods for you....Enjoy your new wheels....:smirk:

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings..

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings..

Do the free power mod..

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner..

Install Case Savers..

JD Jet kit for the stock BSR36 carb and the 3x3 air box mod, with Keintech extended fuel screw..

Install MRD SSW exhaust..

Install SS brake lines front and rear..

Re Spring and valve suspension to suit your riding..

When you can afford it, go for 94mm Big Bore kit ,4mm stroker crank , big valves, RHC stage 2 valve spring kit , Head Flowing, RHC 187 cams, FCRMX41mm Conversion kit. ,SSW Super Start kit...

I think I'm going to do everything at once then, so in addition to the James Dean Jet Kit #JDS005 and Keintech extended fuel screw, will I need anything else? In this video

I see that some other parts were purchased and installed as well. If it wouldn't be too much to ask could i get a parts list including everything i need to do this right the first time!

Thanks

I think I'm going to do everything at once then, so in addition to the James Dean Jet Kit #JDS005 and Keintech extended fuel screw, will I need anything else? In this video
I see that some other parts were purchased and installed as well. If it wouldn't be too much to ask could i get a parts list including everything i need to do this right the first time!

Thanks

No, nothing else to complete the 3x3 and jetting.

What if i want to do the exhaust too, will i need any other parts?

i got a new exhaust gasket, when i did my mine, but not usually needed, original is ussually reused..

kool, thanks guys

I'm sure you've heard this already, but I would so skip the exhaust and rejetting the bsr stock carb. Getting a FCR carb will make the biggest difference for the money. The difference is so awesome. The aftermarket exhaust will be hum, hum, except maybe the MRD which will take away some midrange on a stock bike and make it feel even more powerful then it really is (okay, I know the MRD exhaust is a great pipe but it's best with the more mods a person does).

Open the airbox with the 3x3 and put on an FCR carb.

Unless you want to go big bore this will wake her up!

If your are a performance mod freak like some of us here and intend to go stroker in the future you may wish to re think a purchase of a 39mm Fcr....

A 41mm Fcrmx will work much better on a stroked DRZ than a 39.....

But....yes there is always a But....A 41 will be too much carb for a stock motor....

So , maybe go will a Jet kitted stock carb and then do the jump to a 41Fcrmx , if you are planning to go stroker...You would save some $ if you bypassed the 39Fcrmx in this situation...

...Though, the 39Fcrmx will be perfect for a Big Bore / No stroker upgrade..

I guess I'm just gonna keep it simple with the DRZ mods, I picked up a Kawasaki KX500 two stroke yesterday, I'm gonna keep that bike for modding, god that thing is fast, melts my face off every time!