Sign in to follow this  

trail tech HID lighting kit questions

I've got an '03 XR400 and need help with an HID lighting kit.

I've bought the light kit, small battery, and reg/rectifier from trail tech..and had the stator wound to 200 watts.....I think they all came from there...anyway, I'm sure someone on here has wired this set-up on an XR before.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

I have a HID on my bike. I had to add a capacitor to the system because it was flickering at low RPM. I also need to make sure the headlight is off before the bike is started, otherwise the HID wont fire up. Other then that it has been a great mod and I absolutely love it.

Should be fine with the setup you describe using the stock wiring. Trail Tech instructions are pretty good so just follow their guide for hooking up the reg/rect to the stator and battery. Same wires that go to the battery can tie into the stock wiring (light blue is headlight wiring iirc). You didn't actually ask a question so I'm trying to guess lol. You'll want to run the ignition circuit in the stock configuration. You can disconnect the stock voltage regulator from the lighting circuit since it's AC.

You need a battery or capacitor to run HID's, but shouldn't need both. Either item will fill the same role. When the HID's fire they have an initial voltage spike. If the power isn't available then they turn back off. The solution to this is to provide an energy storage tank, either in the form of a capacitor or battery.

You need a battery or capacitor to run HID's, but shouldn't need both. Either item will fill the same role. When the HID's fire they have an initial voltage spike. If the power isn't available then they turn back off. The solution to this is to provide an energy storage tank, either in the form of a capacitor or battery.

The battery, or capacitor, also absorb voltage spikes, which can cause a regulator to reduce voltage; e.g. dimming lights at idle.

Thanks for all the help and information...now, just one problem I've found. The rewound stator has the standard plug, OK...and yellow, OK, and a black/red wire, OK..got all those. Now, the 2 white wires go to the reg/rec...got that. 2 more wires, a gray wire..and a pimk looking wire. The 2 left to plug these into are white and gray....hmm...does the pink wire from stator plug into white wire from stock harness? I figure this out and I'm almost done.

We went to a "night-ride" this past Friday for a test/tune night with 4 other teams racing the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge...these lights are amazing. we had the stock stator wound to 200 watts, installed the 3.7am/hr battery, and a reg/rec. We didn't wire a switch because we're only using the lights after dark anyway. Also, we wired both high, and low beam hot all the time...this thing lights up the world now.