Getting the end of the grip to adhere?

I've used Gorilla Glue,Scott Grip glue,Carb spray,Brake cleaner spray and Spray paint before. They all work good except The left grip all ways tends to turn at the end after a few rides and thats even using wire.

I like Gorilla glue but it is hard to scrape it off on knurled throttle tube. After the last time I used it on the throttle tube I liked to have never got it all off. Now I just use Carb spay on the throttle tube and it works great (No turning) I guess cause of the throttle twisting it self.

I have just put on new grips yesterday and bought a can of 3M adhesive spray which was $17 a can thinking this is the stuff I was looking for.

I didnt use it on the throttle cause the carb spray works for it but followed the directions for the 3M which said to spay the surface in one direction and let dry for 3 minutes or until tacky and spray in the opposite direction and let dry til tacky.

Then spray the surface that you are matting to (which would be the inside of grip). Slid the grip on and got it lined up and then put uniforn pressure on it with my hand for about 5 mins and came back an hour later and put pressure on it. After doing this I still put three strand of wire on and let sit and dry til today.

Checked this afternoon and felt of the grips and they seem to be on good but at the end it seemed it wanted to twist. I stopped when I seen it was turning a tad at the end(so that I wouldnt break the bond).

But the end is what gives me trouble. I have the Flexx bars so the handle is not knurled but slick. Maybe the adhesive is still curing and needs to dry some more. I will not be riding it til sunday so that will give it two more full days to dry.

Have you tried hair spray? That's what I use and have never had an issue with a grip turning.

Have you tried hair spray? That's what I use and have never had an issue with a grip turning.

X2 on the hair spray! make sure it's the kind from an aerosol can. Not the pump/squirt kind. Works better than any thing else I have tried over the years.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

clear spray paint is the best i have found yet :smirk:

Hairspray... no DSM owner can go w/o it! That and zip ties.

OP def try the hairspray and safety wire. IF they are still turning, you aren't holding on with your ankles & knees. :smirk:

In addition to whatever glue used wirethe grip on for best results.

Excellent vid on install here

I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Unbeatable.

All the others work somewhat but they are very thin and do not fill voids. They stick whell but have no give, do a strong force breaks thier bond and the grip is now loose. The 3M stuff is truly like snot. It has some give to it which prevents the bond from failing.

Be sure to mask off where you do not want the glue to go and have an open can of Acetone handy.

All the others work somewhat but they are very thin and do not fill voids. They stick whell but have no give, do a strong force breaks thier bond and the grip is now loose. The 3M stuff is truly like snot. It has some give to it which prevents the bond from failing.

Be sure to mask off where you do not want the glue to go and have an open can of Acetone handy.

I used the 3M in a spray can. I will see how they are sunday when I ride. When I get done riding and if they turn any I will take it back off and redo it.

Not the same. The stuff in the tube is unbeatable.

If you use the spray, be sure to let it set up some before you put the grip on.

Not the same. The stuff in the tube is unbeatable.

If you use the spray, be sure to let it set up some before you put the grip on.

Hummmm. I thought the spray would be the ticket. I did let the spray tack up a tad before I put the grip on. However I didnt let it sit for like 5 mins or anything....just about a minute (it was tacky).

Anyways ......The grip has been curing since thursday so I will find out tomorrow if it holds. If it twists or turns any ....Well I guess back to the drawing board.

just go buy some honda grip glue its like 7dollars and works great...my left grip dosent twist at all and i dont even have saftey wire on it.

I usually use scott grip glue, but this last application had the left grip spinning around like crazy... Has anyone tried that risk racing fusion grip stuff? From what I read, it is a piece of adhesive that you wrap around the bar, and there is a catalyst spray that you put on the adhesive and shoot a couple of sprays in the grip. It caught my interest, but haven't heard of anyone using it.

I usually use scott grip glue, but this last application had the left grip spinning around like crazy... Has anyone tried that risk racing fusion grip stuff? From what I read, it is a piece of adhesive that you wrap around the bar, and there is a catalyst spray that you put on the adhesive and shoot a couple of sprays in the grip. It caught my interest, but haven't heard of anyone using it.

I may have to look it to it cause after my ride today........Yeah the left grip twisted on me and by the end of the day toady the whole grip just spun around and around.

I guess I will try the spray paint tomorrow and see if that works. I swore I thought I was getting the right 3M spray adhesive.

i just used golf club club grip tape for the first time and it seems awfully secure. $5 for a roll and it's probably enough to do my grips 5-6 times. Not water based, greazy and easy to slide on and position when wet. Gotta let 'em dry overnight. i bet mine don't move until I need to cut them off.

i just used golf club club grip tape for the first time and it seems awfully secure. $5 for a roll and it's probably enough to do my grips 5-6 times. Not water based, greazy and easy to slide on and position when wet. Gotta let 'em dry overnight. i bet mine don't move until I need to cut them off.

I looked this stuff up at Advance by 3M. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Black-Super-Weatherstrip-Adhesive,-29-5-ml-Tube-%281-fl--oz-%29-3M_7101686-P_N3238_T|GRP2034___

I just hope its better than the 3M spray adhesive in a can that I just bought for $17.00 that didnt work.

I'm going to Advance tomorrow to see if they have it.

Here is what the Advance store here at home had http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Product-Catalog/Pages/?PC_7_RJH9U5230ONO70I0C3275H2K94_nid=PS7GT62TVDgsMDCVJW7L8SglMBHZ1VR0K9bl

Is this the same stuff you use? I'm going to give it a shot here drectly.

Probably.

This is what I use:

http://www.skygeek.com/051135-08001.html

Only difference is probably color.

(I do not get it from them, I just googles the PN to locate it for you)

3M 051135 08001

Amazing for the price of those flex bars they wouldn't knurl the left side...

I agree the 3-M weather stripping glue is bad azz but without the knurl its going to be tough to get anything to stay put 100%

I did a little research for you. As far as I can tell, they are identical except for color.

Crazy stuff... next step is ODI/MOOSE lock on grips. Cant remember, did you try sanding the surface down first? 3M stuff William uses is very good btw.