DRZ 400S forks on a DR 650

Anyone have this setup on their bike? I'm looking for details on what I will need to make the conversion. Are these forks (from a 2005 DRZ 400S) 49mm or 43mm like the DR 650? Suzuki's web site says 49mm on the "S" model, I'm not so sure that's correct. I'm thinking I will need the DRZ front axle, DRZ wheel spacers...if the forks are 49mm the steering stem and top clamp. I always thought they slid right into the DR clamps. Will I need the DRZ front wheel or can I use the DR wheel and wheel bearings with the DRZ axle? Are the DR/DRZ front wheel bearings the same ID and OD? How much difference in fork travel and would I need to do rear suspension modifications ASAP to balance the front and rear suspension?

Any and all input welcome,

Thanks

Tech25

the drz 400 fks are 49mm and will not fit your triples. they bolt right on--so you need forks, triples, and front wheel. (your caliper will work) also no steering lock. possible to build a bracket ?? when i did mine i used a drz400 shock also, but you have to do some mods. do a search on here. some in the sticky i think. (i do have a set of fks and wheel) but am in n-ca

the drz 400 fks are 49mm and will not fit your triples. they bolt right on--so you need forks, triples, and front wheel. (your caliper will work) also no steering lock. possible to build a bracket ?? when i did mine i used a drz400 shock also, but you have to do some mods. do a search on here. some in the sticky i think. (i do have a set of fks and wheel) but am in n-ca

Thanks for the information bergman. Now that I think about about it with my less than stellar memory. I think it was the DR 250 forks that will slide right into the stock 650 triple clamps. I believe the 250 forks were also compression and rebound adjustable. Not the massive 49mm units on the DRZ but still an adjustable upgrade for the big DR.

Tech25

It's actually DR350 forks. Dirt model forks from '97-99, or street version forks from a '99 are the best DR forks. Cartridge, adjustable and I think the 650 wheel fits.

or.. '88 rm250 forks like i put on my '02. all it needs is a caliper adapter.

I have a perfect set of '98 DR350 cartridge forks (and wheel if necessary) if you are interested.

regards,

Phil

TCTND, How much for the forks?

$200 for the forks, ($100 for the wheel if you need it) = shipping. All are in excellent condition; low miles. If you are interested PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pics.

regards,

Phil