Sign in to follow this  

Good or bad?

I'm planning a 5000 miles trip on my 33 000 miles drz in 2 months, mostly highway riding. I change my oil every 1500 miles but in this trip, it will be complicated.. The easiest way would be to do one at 2200 miles and the other at 2800.

Some people say that doing 1500 miles in a month is harder on oil than doing a longer distance in a few days...

I don't know what to do lol help!:smirk:

So you will be doing only 1 oil change on the 5,000 mile trip.?..The 2nd change will be at the end of your trip?.....

Try and fit in at least oil 2 changes during the trip...Maybe 1st@1700mile and 2nd@3,400 miles..

That would be the best but I'll have to carry all my tools/oil and making an oil change in the streets I'm not sure about that lol.

The first one would be at a friend's house and yes the second at the end.

That would be the best but I'll have to carry all my tools/oil and making an oil change in the streets I'm not sure about that lol.

The first one would be at a friend's house and yes the second at the end.

You need to find a closer friend....lol

Or perhaps just take your own filter and find a shop to do a oil change...It wouldn't cost you that much...

why not post your proposed route on here ? my garage is open to you for a quick oil change if you're passing near newmarket Ontario . I'd like to meet the guy who's ass can handle that kind of mileage on a drz seat!

You need to find a closer friend....lol

Or perhaps just take your own filter and find a shop to do a oil change...It wouldn't cost you that much...

That would be an idea to bring my filter but finding the shop, change the oil would be too long. I can't go fast on the Z, I must travel a lot in a day :smirk::smirk:

Newhoco:

Here you go, sorry the indications are in french

16646f07.jpg

Thanx for your offer,that's very appreciated, I may change my route!I'll think about that

I think you could probably get away with it.

Some of RTW people do that or worse, some do the 4,000 miles as per the manual:banghead: but the bike copes with it.

I think if you were to use a good quality fully sythn, and use all 2 litres of it (slightly over fill) you'd be fine.

My reasoning is that you will be keeping a steady pace, not racing or off-roading, also the oil will be kept up to temp and will stay there for much of the journey - minimal cold starts, perfect condition for maximum oil life.

I wouldn't operate at these intervals for the bike's life but for a 1 off trip I think I'd do that and just remember not to be too hard on the throttle.

That's my take, get ready for it to be shot down in flames:busted::smirk:

why not post your proposed route on here ? my garage is open to you for a quick oil change if you're passing near newmarket Ontario . I'd like to meet the guy who's ass can handle that kind of mileage on a drz seat!

Have your seat re-done by Fisher.... mileage would be doable then...:smirk:

find fellow TT'rs along the way and send oil/filter to them if they have an hour and some tools you can change it there....and meet some new people in the process....otherwise check out advrider....lots of good folks that do this exact thing

It only takes 20 minutes to change the oil, change it on the gas station forecourt when you fuel up. They'll have some halfway decent oil, if they don't, change it again when you find a gas station that does. No big deal.

Personaly, I wouldn't try and plan every detail, or have too tight an itinery, it'll never happen that way, life gets in the way.

Enjoy!

given that the factory recommendation for every oil change interval for the life of the bike is longer than your interval would be for these two times, i would not worry about it at all personally.

i do agree with the prevailing sentiment around here that the factory recommendations are too long, and it is a good idea to routinely change your oil more often. however, there are many, many people who never read any internet forums, follow the factory specs, and don't have problems.

should you start doing all your oil changes at 2800 miles? i would say no. is it going to hurt your bike to do the next two at 2800 miles? i would also say no.

use good oil and just change it when you were planning on it.

just my two cents.

looking at your itinerary if you are running "kilometers" per hour your oil change times are not that bad. right around 1500 miles. I'd say your OK.

and your mileage from Edmonton to Calgary is double what the actual distance is, maybe your trip isn't as long as you thought. :smirk:

will your tires go for 5000 miles. I never had a set last more then 3000 but I'm only on my 3rd set at 6700 miles.trail wings and MT21s. No long travel and i bark the rear almost every time i shift.:smirk:

I suggest you contact Suzuki Canada, and/or the suzuki dealerships along your route , they might offer some help , promotional goodies and swag for such an epic effort . Bonne chance !

Run a good sythetic and a good filter, watch the level it'll be fine for 2200 miles. I went 1200 miles in Baja, and then only changed it as oil was available and we had some downtime, I'd planned to run it the full 2400 miles. Oil looked great, didn't touch the stainless filter (less mess). The other DRZ in our group ran the full 2400miles no change.

Sorry for the delay, had some computer problems :smirk:

Seems that everyone has a different opinion lol. I think I'll see if I have enought space on the bike to bring my tools / oil. Finding people on my way is a good idea but like Angustoyou wrote, I don't want to plan every detail si it's complicated. I wrote a list to give me an idea but I'll see on the road.

will your tires go for 5000 miles. I never had a set last more then 3000 but I'm only on my 3rd set at 6700 miles.trail wings and MT21s. No long travel and i bark the rear almost every time i shift.:smirk:

Try the Avon Distanzia, they last forever for the rear lol.

I have an SM but I did 11 250 miles with my rear distanzia.

your mileage from Edmonton to Calgary is double what the actual distance is, maybe your trip isn't as long as you thought. :prof:

Yeah but if you look at the map, I'm doing Edmonton - Banff - Jasper - Calgary, not Edmonton - Calgary straight :lol:

Newhoco: haha that's a good idea but I'm not sure that Suzuki Canada care about a DRZ :lol: