what size is this bolt?

this bolt is bottomed out against the head but still lacks this far from touching the cover to tighten it....what am i doing wrong...i took it out of that hole but didnt pay any attention to see if it was down or i cant remember if something else bolted here taking up the extra gap

IMG00042-20110526-1931.jpg

...Did you maybe switch a longer bolt for a shorter one?

^^^ Looks like it from the microfiche at the TT store. Looks like there should be a couple washers as well.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=432719&manufacturer=5&category=3&year=2006&model=10127

edit: looking closer at the picture it looks like you have the shoulder screw in the right place. Do you have item #6 in it as well?

Edited by npm

Most likely 8mm. Not sure tho. Just a guess. Also I think it has a afitted shank for the seal washer and a larger head diameter. U might be lucky and find one that works. But chances are u will have to see a stealer for one.

i know its a special bolt but if i know what size the threads are then i could get one with the right threads and use a washer on top and it will work fine

you have 2 more, right? if so, match the threads up with that.

i know it's not m6 or m8. prob. m7, which is not a common size.

you could have ordered the oem replacement from ronayers.com or the tt store & had it in your hands already.

i could have ordered it from them but shipping is like $10 for a $3 bolt and washer which is stupid!

So is trying to use a straight thread fastener instead of a reduced shank thread, shouldered bolt and sealing washer..

It.s your bike, do what ya want.

But your asking for a damaged head, valve cover, and oil leak

Look over your bike,.. It needs something... Pick up a few oil filters, a couple of other fasteners that have been damaged, rusty, lost. Have another bike..look it over as well.. Find an oem part you need. Have a friend with a bike? See if. He needs any oem parts. Combine an order.

If you instal a straight threaded bolt..... I fully expect a follow up thread about the damage you caused, or an oil leak you need to fix.

If your dead set on hardware store pick a part. Find some tubing that fist over the bolt, cut to length, use it as shoulder section, and to fit the ID of the sealing washer,, all told,,,, you should be able to buy and make that fastener for $15 or so.