Sign in to follow this  

Value of 2003 YZ250?

I've been trying to sell a 1986 Honda TRX250r for a while, and I just got an email and a guy was wondering if I'd trade for a 2003 YZ250. I wanted cash, but this is appealing to me because I'm wanting to get back into riding and a YZ250 was looking to be my best bet.

He said it's "very clean" but I'm awaiting pictures. I'll post them here when I get them so you guys can see.

So, in today's market, what is the average value of a good '03 YZ250?

Also, is there anything I should know about that specific year?

Thanks

different prices in different areas. You could always get on your local craigslist and see. In my area they are for 1800-2500 depending on condition and mods.

YZ250's are commanding HIGHER prices due to the fact they are in high demand.

If it is clean, paying a little more for it is OK since it will retain its value and 2 strokes are going up in value.

I bought one for me for $1400.00 needed work nothing extra on it, bought a really nice one for son with larger tank and lots of extras $2000.00. I live in Sacramento and see them range anywhere from $1600 to a ridiculus $3000.00. For 2k its should be really nice. Great bikes. Utah maybe higher since there is less to pick from. My parents live in Idaho Falls and all the used bikes I've seen are higher then Calif.

YZ250's are commanding HIGHER prices due to the fact they are in high demand.

If it is clean, paying a little more for it is OK since it will retain its value and 2 strokes are going up in value.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that 2 strokes are going up in value but they are not. Even though its a two stroke its still a dirt bike and usually gets treated like one too. People are not gonna pay more just cause its a two stroke maybe if its a low houred 09-11. Besides the op states he was trying to sell a two stroke quad and wasn't succesful in doing so.

KBB for an 03 yz250 in my area is $1900 if its in excellent condition. But mostly this bike will bring about $1700 since its a steel frame model.

$1200 to $2500 depending on whats been replaced.Np issues w/ that year, but check for play in all bearings especially swing arm and shock linkage. Check for play in wheel bearings,loose spokes and head stay bearings(steering). I paid $1700 for mine 2yrs ago and have replaced all bearings except head stay, replaced both rims and wheels, done a top end (twice) new tires , chain, sprokets, etc, So expect to invest some money to get it in prime condition. I would do a top end asap, just to be safe.

Alright, thanks guys.

This is quite a dilemma for me. I'm dying to get back into riding after 2 years away after a pair of broken wrists. But after thinking about it, I'm broke and don't have the spare money to replace anything right away if it needs it.

When he sends me the pics I'll take a good look at them, see how clean and what kind of shape it's in. Hopefully he's an honest knowledgeable guy and can give me some info on what may need work and whatnot.

I'll post the pictures here just to get your guys' opinions.

Thanks again.

I don't think 2 strokes are going up in value, but relative to the 4 strokes, they are.

An 03 YZ250 is probably worth more than an 03 YZ450.

To the OP, I would make that trade every day of the week.

I don't think 2 strokes are going up in value, but relative to the 4 strokes, they are.

An 03 YZ250 is probably worth more than an 03 YZ450.

To the OP, I would make that trade every day of the week.

Well when people buy four strokes they don't really want noncurrent bikes. .....Whats the point when you can get a much better deal buying a brand new left over :smirk:.

Just bought an extremely clean 03' yz250 from a friend for $1600 with completely redone Enzo suspension.

Got my very clean 02' for $1500.

I got offered 1800 cash 3 weeks ago at the track for my old 03 yz250 that I use as a practice bike... but that offer didnt stand after I told the guy that if I sold it, it wouldnt come with all the mods done to the motor and body.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that 2 strokes are going up in value but they are not. Even though its a two stroke its still a dirt bike and usually gets treated like one too. People are not gonna pay more just cause its a two stroke maybe if its a low houred 09-11. Besides the op states he was trying to sell a two stroke quad and wasn't succesful in doing so.

KBB for an 03 yz250 in my area is $1900 if its in excellent condition. But mostly this bike will bring about $1700 since its a steel frame model.

Down South you can ride almost year around and the places to ride are plentiful. (You can ride year around if you don't mind the winter months)

It may be 30 degrees one day and 70 the next, Welcome to Arkansas, born and raised if you don't like the weather stick around it will change.

Miles and miles of fire-roads, to trails, WMA's to friends/family that own thousands of acres.

A low hour 2 stroke here 4 wheeler or dirt bike will sell quick. Where I use to live in Clinton, AR I could ride the dirt roads I lived on to riding places down by a lake and lots of trails.

That is why they sell a lot of dirtbikes/4 wheelers here.

Here in the southeast, you basically got to give away a used 250 F 4 stroke. But the prices on good clean 2 strokes is definitely going up. Seems alot of the woods riders are going back to the 2 T bikes.

Just this week, my local dealer told me he was doing everything he could to get his hands on some new YZ250's. He said alot of the woods guys had been in lately shopping for new YZ250's. None of them wanted another 4 T.