Damaged sealing ring threads on rear hub

The threads on the rear hub sealing ring are damaged. Is this something that can be retapped? I can't even get the sealing ring started. This is not the ring itself it's the threads in the hub.

Edited by hazard88
Hit enter button by mistake

Most call it a retainer ring with is the brake side of the hub. I just grew up knowing it as the sealing ring. Learned wrong and still wrong. :smirk:

So, the threads are on the outside of part #4 then....

That will be tough to fix. Maybe you can use a thread file. I got one from the MAC tool man that came to the shop. Never tried it on a inside thread though.

Krannie it was actually the threads in the hub itself that the part goes into. I actually grabbed a dremel attachment (metal cutting thin wheel) and ran it back and forth through the threads, by hand, that were damaged and that did the trick. It took about an hr but I was able to get the Retainer ring in last night. :smirk:

A thread file for male threads but I don't see how it could work on female threads.

Krannie it was actually the threads in the hub itself that the part goes into. I actually grabbed a dremel attachment (metal cutting thin wheel) and ran it back and forth through the threads, by hand, that were damaged and that did the trick. It took about an hr but I was able to get the Retainer ring in last night. :smirk:

Yeah, that sounds smart.

Glad it worked out.

A thread file for male threads but I don't see how it could work on female threads.

The one I have is cut so you can stroke it in the direction of a normal file or because of the flute cut in it you can go sideways.

Glad it worked out.