CRF450R for Hare Scrambles

Starting to think about my next bike. Right now I'm riding a KTM but I wouldn't be totally opposed to switching brands. What would I have to do to a CRF450R to set it up for New England Hare Scrambles? I'm thinking Rekluse and hand guards to start. Suspension work? I'm pretty heavy at 240 lb. but that would make me think the stock MX springs might be ok but I wonder if the valving would be just too harsh?

What modifications do you guys do to run Pro Tapers or other fat bars? I'm thinking it comes with 7/8" bars but I could be wrong. How is the chassis overall in the woods? Does it track well over rocks and roots or is the suspension really the limiting factor stock? Thanks for your help. :smirk:

yes, and yes.. :smirk: Have 2 bikes, and won half the harescrambles i was in this season on my 04 (doubt that will be the case in Sr or Vet A next year.. ). Just picked up an 08 and finishing dialing in suspension on it. yea, valving is a bit firm for woods and offroad but for your size (im 165) the springs may be spot on. Need to get with your local suspension guy that works with offroad riders/racers. I like the RaceTech stuff, but before you "buy" talk with Louie in CA about exactly what your doing. I had a perfect setup a few years back, the recent purchase had us NOT do the midvalve mods based on web info.. and it is too harsh. Having to rip it apart and the spring rate calculator is too firm on thier site too.. (IMO).

If you have a recluse now, i would get one for this bike. Just seems like riders that have em, don't like a bike if it doesn't have one later.. i don't use one, but do like the 13oz fww i jsut added to my 2008 bike.

Rad guards, hand guards, skid plate, maybe a 1.6bar rad cap and good to go. I have Renthal fat bars on one bike, and the stock 7/8" renthal bend bars on the other. I kind of like the fat bars personally.. Gearing is personal pref. too. Our harescrambles are have some tight stuff but fair amount of open fast stuff too and run 13/49. Last one was 21min loops over just over 10 miles and ran stock 13/48..Yours up in the NE may be WAY tighter with more hills..

The crf chassie is amazing in my opinion. I have rode yamaha and KTM's (Friends bikes..) and simply couldn't wait to get back on my crf. Even a ktm300 2t. Almost bought one, glad i didn't.. That being said, there are obviously MANY racers that love the KTM and would never ride anything else. If ya can, find a 2007 or 2008 crf. If ya get a smoking deal on a 2006 that woudl be fine too im guessing.

Ok, good info thanks. Is boiling a big problem with these bikes? And do you recommend the older bikes? I was thinking of a 2012 when I buy next season most likely. I tend to be a buy new and run for 2 or 3 years kind of guy. Will the motor live for 120 hours without work?

And yes I do have a Rekluse now and really like it. So I would probably be putting it on any new bike but it seems like it would be suited to helping tame this particular bike.

Ok, good info thanks. Is boiling a big problem with these bikes? And do you recommend the older bikes? I was thinking of a 2012 when I buy next season most likely. I tend to be a buy new and run for 2 or 3 years kind of guy. Will the motor live for 120 hours without work?

And yes I do have a Rekluse now and really like it. So I would probably be putting it on any new bike but it seems like it would be suited to helping tame this particular bike.

could do some research on the newer models.. im honestly not familiar with any FI bikes (any crf after 2008). For offroad there should be no reason you shouldn't get 200+ hrs from the motor. I change pistons around 120hrs or so, but the last one was still in spec and pretty good shape. Buying new has advantages.. mostly you know how it's taken care of from day 1.. :smirk:

Boiling over isn't an issue provided you keep moving and don't jet lean. Also shut em down when stopped vs. sit and idle for 2-3 min (in some nasty tight stuff, or waiting for stalled riders in front of you in a race?? could be an issue from time to time. I bought oversized rads for my 08, friggin amazing even today in the 92F. Not one drop puked out of the overflow and can get em for about $175 for newer crf's. I also rigged overflow bottles between my skid plate and the motor on my bikes..

Buying new has advantages.. mostly you know how it's taken care of from day 1.. :smirk:

That is if you take them apart and lube and anti-sieze things. I have taken new bikes apart and found an ounce of grease on the entire bike(s). At best, some where half lubed!

Joe

could do some research on the newer models.. im honestly not familiar with any FI bikes (any crf after 2008). For offroad there should be no reason you shouldn't get 200+ hrs from the motor. I change pistons around 120hrs or so, but the last one was still in spec and pretty good shape. Buying new has advantages.. mostly you know how it's taken care of from day 1.. :smirk:

Boiling over isn't an issue provided you keep moving and don't jet lean. Also shut em down when stopped vs. sit and idle for 2-3 min (in some nasty tight stuff, or waiting for stalled riders in front of you in a race?? could be an issue from time to time. I bought oversized rads for my 08, friggin amazing even today in the 92F. Not one drop puked out of the overflow and can get em for about $175 for newer crf's. I also rigged overflow bottles between my skid plate and the motor on my bikes..

That sounds good on the motor life. Not much different from a KTM XC4. I'm familiar with the cooling issues you mention as the KTM is the same. I had to rejet and as long as I keep moving at a decent pace it hasn't been a problem. I have never boiled mine but a lot of people have trouble with them that way so I guess I do ok.

I almost would recommend an older CRF for offroad over a new bike. Only based on cost as I have an '08 450r and havent ridden anything newer. By cost I mean you can get it for maybe $3000 in good shape and then add all the parts you are gonna need, I spent about another thousand on mine. I put a cooling fan on mine for 75 bucks or so. It only added a pound and it allows me to idle while I pick my son and his 50 out of the mud. The fork is VERY harsh stock for offroad use but the shock feels great.

Is there a reason other than cost to stay away from the newer CRF? Because compared to a KTM I can probably buy a CRF and add a few things and still be right in there on price so it's not too bad that way for me.