How Too Use The Boost Bottle

Finally putting this sucker to use on my 06.

boostkit1.jpg

Too cool. I bet its as useful not connected as it might be connected.

How on earth did you keep it in such good shape? That decal was off, back in 82, during the first wash.

I love it, and I want one, Maybe it coudl be used as a powervalve catch tank?

It was laying in an old parts bucket from a yz 100,"i think".

It is even more usefull now as i split it down the top and sides so it unfolds and carries a......

-spark plug

-2 piece wrench to remove plug

-allen wrench for bark busters

-small screwdriver for suspension/carb tweaking

-4 zipties

-cash for beer!

After taking the pic, i was thinking it could have been made into a neat looking coolant recovery tank.

great idea, i want one

:smirk: Nice! The ones for the bigger IT's and YZ's were of course....bigger. You could almost put a beer in there.:smirk:

Your tire and chain budget will be stretched now.

Looks like it contains polishing rags. Did you see how clean his bike is. Amazing

Its an issue im coming to terms with. But trust me it only looks like that between rides!

yz.jpg

Hey, does that blue tube in the helmet plug into the boost bottle? :smirk:

You should patent them, and sell them. Actually, it is a clever and good idea! That's a lot of sloppy mud; looks like my backyard.

Hey, does that blue tube in the helmet plug into the boost bottle? :smirk:

:smirk::lol::prof:

Did you fasten it with the oem bracket? I have to have one. I think I'll shoot for a 490 boost bottle for sentimental reasons...

Did you fasten it with the oem bracket? I have to have one. I think I'll shoot for a 490 boost bottle for sentimental reasons...

No the oem bracket was not in the parts bucket, so i made 2 brackets. One is a L-shaped one that the top of the bottle rest against and connects to the strap side you can't see and the other comes straight down and connects where you see.

I actually got to use it today as a guy with a ktm250 we ride with, fouled out his plug.

Read an article on those in one of my dirt bike mags, they actually work pretty well. An old design that faded with the older bikes, but the tech behind the boost bottle was sound. Forgot how it worked though.. :smirk:

CaveMike going attach boost bottle to him club. Him hit animal harder. Faster.

Edited by CaveMike
I think I'll shoot for a 490 boost bottle for sentimental reasons...

Time out! There's something about the 490 that you liked?!?

Read an article on those in one of my dirt bike mags, they actually work pretty well. An old design that faded with the older bikes, but the tech behind the boost bottle was sound. Forgot how it worked though.. :smirk:

My understanding has been that it has to do with the inertia of air fuel hitting a closed reed valve, the boost bottle provides an outlet for the mixture to loop why the reed valves are closed and then head into the cylinder at full velocity when it opens giving the bike a better hit on the low end rpm range, not so effective up high in the rpms when this process happens much faster. Don't quote me on it but i think that's the far view on the subject. I thought about experimenting once but ended up turning it into a radiator escape reservoir as i didn't want to mess with my perfectly running engine, plus its really not necessary lol

My understanding has been that it has to do with the inertia of air fuel hitting a closed reed valve, the boost bottle provides an outlet for the mixture to loop why the reed valves are closed and then head into the cylinder at full velocity when it opens giving the bike a better hit on the low end rpm range, not so effective up high in the rpms when this process happens much faster. Don't quote me on it but i think that's the far view on the subject. I thought about experimenting once but ended up turning it into a radiator escape reservoir as i didn't want to mess with my perfectly running engine, plus its really not necessary lol

They work on sonic wave principles, just like the two stroke expansion chamber. And like the chamber, they are ideal for only one RPM/throttle opening, work ok for others, but not ideal. My current WR250R and my wife's car both have them! Think of it as an intake sonic version of a capacitor in a voltage multiplier.

They work on sonic wave principles, just like the two stroke expansion chamber. And like the chamber, they are ideal for only one RPM/throttle opening, work ok for others, but not ideal. My current WR250R and my wife's car both have them! Think of it as an intake sonic version of a capacitor in a voltage multiplier.

Thanks for straightening me out! so you run one, do you see it as a big enough improvement to make space for one? pics would be cool if you have any

Mine came on the bike ( and the wife's car too) so don't have a before/after tale. In the 70s, you could buy them as aftermarket accessories. I forget who sold them, but they were aluminum bottles, came in different sizes relating to displacement.

If you look at the 08 WR250R parts lists on Yamaha website, it is item 21 on the first Intake page. On this engine, it is on the air filter side of the throttle body, but it would still have the same effect: under the correct sonic wave action, it would assist the intake waves and have a slight ram air effect. Your guess is as good as mine. But they wouldn't have spent the money to install it if it didn't do anything. On this particular bike, they have gone to great lengths to reduce or eliminate noise. It could be doing that job here, I have no idea.

But if you know about the wave action that Walter Kaden pioneered which let to the two strokes of today, you understand it works on the sonic principle. Prior to this, two strokes had pipes that looked like they belonged on four strokes.