What should I get?

Ok, I'm small guy, ≈135lb. I've been riding all my life and ride hard and fast. I'm coming off an rm125. I primarily woods ride but just recently started going mx tracks and love it. I need something that is going to be competitive for hare scrambles but also somewhat decent at MX.

My original plan was to get a 200xc-w but now im having some second thoughts. Since im used to riding an MX bike through the woods, I don't know how the wide ratio transmission is going to be. How wide is it? Do you have to bounce off the limiter before you change gears? And also, the wide ratio tranny would probably suck at MX.

I could get a 250xc without the wide ratio transmissions but then I would have to compete against 300cc in the open class in haresrambles. And, 250cc is alot of bike zip around the woods with. It would probably tire me out quicker.

Thanks

Tony

The 200W has a 6 speed with a hybrid tranny. It has a really low first, close ratio 2nd - 4th (where you spend most of your time), and a tall 5th 6th. Comparing the 144/150SX tranny to it (since I am going to have one shortly, converted to a 200SX), they are very similar except for having a slightly taller first and shorter 5th and 6th. If you like to rev and don't mind spending a little time getting the jetting right, the 150SX will please you. If you want a great offroad racer that will work on the track, but not as well as a moto bike, the 200 is great, has more bottom end and can still scream up top. The suspension is the only thing really lacking for moto on the 200W.

Try and get a ride on a 200, you will be surprised at how well it performs without having to wring it's neck, and how manageable it is when you do wring it's neck. Since you say competitive at HS and decent at MX, the W may suit you very well. Especially since susp can be tailored to your needs.

Are you buying new or used?

The 200xc is a perfect bike for a mix of mx and offroad. Too bad someone without a working brain decided to eliminate it from the line-up. The "w" will be too soft for moto stock, but someone could probably tune the "w" suspension to work. The "w" gearing may be an issue. Final drive changes may overcome that, IDK.

200xc

i agonized over that same thing, ended up with a 200xc-w because then i was primarily doing trail stuff only. i've since been hitting the odd moto track and some h/s and isde racing and i had my suspension redone to compensate. i think an xc would've probably been a better choice for me, however i really do like the shorter 1st gear and taller upper gears!

There really aren't that many differences between the XC and W to need both. If it bothers you that much, sell the OC forks and buy a set of TC forks, have them valved for you, along with the rear and ride that sucka! The trannies are so close I can't tell a difference in the gears I use the most 2nd - 4th.

...and yes, having the taller 5th and 6th is nice.

how many folks really leave susp stock anyway, at least with the older bikes?

When did they stop making XC's. The bike I am considering now is a used 09 200W, the guy left everything stock and it only has 31 hours it.

When did they stop making XC's. The bike I am considering now is a used 09 200W, the guy left everything stock and it only has 31 hours it.

who knows for sure, but the bikes are so similar, there really is no need for two models. We are starting to see this with the other displacements as well with the 6 speed coming out. The gaps are closing.

The 09 forks are good stock. Tune the clickers for jumping and make the decision to revalve or replace them after spending some time on them.

found a dealer selling a new 2010 200xc im going to take a look at, I'm pumped. Though I have a strange feeling the instant I buy it there will be 12 of them popping up on craigslist for half the price.

found a dealer selling a new 2010 200xc im going to take a look at, I'm pumped. Though I have a strange feeling the instant I buy it there will be 12 of them popping up on craigslist for half the price.

check that because I think the last year of the XC was 09. Check the vin.

I think the last year of the 200xc was 2009 too. They only made the 200xc with the newer frame and the cc forks for 2 years; 08 and 09.

The xc-w has the tripcomputer thingy on it. The xc does not. The xc-w forks have adjustable preload, the xc does not. The xc says "xc" on the sidecovers, the xc-w says "xc-w" on the sidecovers.

The xc has a good mx tranny, the xc-w may not. The 450's lose the xc by a little bit in the start when going into the higher gears. We solved that with some cylinder porting. If the xc-w is gappier coming into the top gears, then that will be a problem unless you gear it down for mx.

for your weight, look at the 150xc if you can't find a decent 200xc

I don't weight much more than you. I am probably a lot stronger than you though. :smirk: :smirk:

Seriously though the difference in weight and handling on the 250xc and 200xc when I have ridden them haven't been large enough for me to want to step down in power. Personally having the extra bottom end of a 250 makes it easier to manuever and pick up speed after a turn in tight trails. Working at lower speeds on a smaller motor has always caused more arm pump and fatigue for me.

What is the actual weight and power difference between the bikes? How about any other subjective feels between people who have ridden both bikes?

Alright so now I have it narrowed down between a 250xc or 200xc. 250 would put me the open class, Idk if that is going to put me at a disadvantage or not. Being a small nibble guy with the big bikes might be a mix match in my advantage.

How about any other subjective feels between people who have ridden both bikes?

i have an 08 200, and i've ridden a friends 05 250 and another's 97 300.

the 300 is complete overkill, unless you're wanting to go really fast on open terrain. too much power for me.

the 250 felt heavier, kind of between my 200 and a ktm 450.

the 200 is pipey in comparison to the others, but also feels more nimble?

I ride a 300 (I am a ton of lard) and have riding buds on both the 200 and 150XC's. I'd seriously consider a 2012 150SX. It has plenty of power and a six speed gear box.

I have owned both and can tell you that there is a big difference in the woods between the 200 and 250. My 200 was one of the older, heavier ones and still rode much lighter than the 250. It spools up faster and provides almost perfect power for a woods environment where you can only use so much power.

I have thought long and hard about going back to a 250, but can't come up with any advantages or legitimate reasons to. If I raced seriously and just wanted more acceleration for the open areas, I would consider the 250. Of course, however, Wattsy has no problem going fast on a 200....

There are other reasons I like the 200, though, mechanical and design reasons. I like the simplicity of the PV, the smaller footprint of the engine, the 6 speed tranny, the way it spools up, the outright tune-ability (from rippin 125 to grunty almost 250 power delivery), and the fact that a rebuild and purchase price is cheaper.

I'd go with the guys advice that has owned both bike. :smirk:

I'd go with the guys advice that has owned both bike. :smirk:

I will say that both are great bikes. It boils down to personal preference. I have often said that if I move from the 200, the 250XC will be what I move to. That is just about the perfect bike for the environment I ride in.

The mechanic at the shop I go to says they have real expensive parts and are a pain to work on. Is this true? This is important because I do all the maintenance stuff myself.

The mechanic at the shop I go to says they have real expensive parts and are a pain to work on. Is this true? This is important because I do all the maintenance stuff myself.

hahaha, the myth continues. Never fails to amuse me the nonsense that gets spread by folks that really don't know.

A KTM is the easiest bike to work on of ALL the brands. Sit down and look at one, how it's put together, everything is accessible and it takes very few tools to tear it down, along with very little time.

Basically, nothing could be further from the truth of what you were told. I am on a limited riding budget and have never found myself paying too much for parts or maintenance.

I spent about $130 for a topend, twice, and about $200 for a bottom end, once. Those were the two biggest expenses I had while owning my 05. Other than that, it was normal cheap stuff, like wheel bearings, etc..