Sign in to follow this  

What bike should I get?

Ok, I'm small guy, ≈135lb. I've been riding all my life and ride hard and fast. I'm coming off an rm125. I primarily woods ride but just recently started going mx tracks and love it. I need something that is going to be competitive for hare scrambles but also somewhat decent at MX.

My original plan was to get a 200xc-w but now im having some second thoughts. Since im used to riding an MX bike through the woods, I don't know how the wide ratio transmission is going to be. How wide is it? Do you have to bounce off the limiter before you change gears? And also, the wide ratio tranny would probably suck at MX.

I could get a 250xc without the wide ratio transmissions but then I would have to compete against 300cc in the open class in haresrambles. And, 250cc is alot of bike zip around the woods with. It would probably tire me out quicker.

Thanks

Tony

You already know that you're wanting one bike to cover two different specialties, so you have to compromise somewhere. The KTM 200xc-w is a great starting point because you can adjust the powerband hit somewhat, so it can be tailored for the different racing conditions on the tracks and trails. The transmission can't be perfect for the different race conditions, so do you have a preference- which one do you want to put more focus on? Even though you're used to a mx bike in the woods, you should be faster on the xc-w, a lot faster. How much of an advantage you will give up to the "close ratio" guys on the track could have a lot to do with skill. Learn to ride smoother, carry your momentum through turns, and you might not give up as much as you think.

You already know there's no easy answer to this one, except own two bikes. Of course we all would prefer that solution.