Would you sell if ....

Ok, so I'm starting to get that new bike itch. A few years ago I did actually buy a '08 RMZ450 and while I really liked the bike, 4 strokes are just too heavy and maintenance intensive for a recreational rider like me.

Soooo, I really want a modern 2 stroke. Yamaha is just reselling their '08 YZ250 ~ ok, they did update it "some" this year, but let's be honest as those updates were really just cost savings to them and not an actual improvement. Husky & GasGas look good but there isn't a dealership for either one less than 75 miles away.

Which leaves KTM.

250_XCW_90.jpg

The 2011 250 XC-We looks like a winner and would be everything that I need. And because they sell out so darn fast I would end up with a 2012, which isn't so bad!

My old bike, a 2008 RM250 is in great shape.

08_i_r.jpg

It's been tricked out to the point where it really needs nothing but a rider.

The real question is; if you could get a decent amount out of the RM would "you" sell? I partly feel that the only real vote that the OEM's count is a new bike purchase and if I buy a new 2 stroke then maybe that would be one more vote in favor of bringing back the "real" RM250.

What do you think?

A "recreational" rider and you want to upgrade from an 08 model? It's your money and I don't want to tell you not to buy something you want, but in my opinion, I would keep the RM. It has all the upgrades, is in great shape, and already set up for you! Plus look at all the money you save to put into a bike (when it needs it) that is set up for you and paid for(?). Nothing against KTM or any bike, but my vote is ---- Keep RM. And as far as bringing back the "real RM", make sure you send a copy of the bill of sale to Suzuki and tell them they didn't have a two stroke to chose from. That will send a great message!

Yea theres a lot of fun in having a older 2 stroke thats been well maintained and its a fun hobby to look for one because theyre cheap and so many to choose from.

Maybe soon theyll have "4-mixes" like with stihl's line of polesaws etc.. I wonder how that would run? Less weight smoother power?

You'll be going from the nimblest bike out there to a bit of a porker for a 2t IMO. I'm not a big fan of the KTM ergos, particularily the width. They feel big and wide as a 4t.

That RM looks pretty mint, it would be an easy choice for me.

if don't ride often, just go with an rm..

not a fan of ktm either, if go see races the most bikes with failures are ktm..

seriously.. in every category there is ALWAYS a ktm failing.. if it's not broken, they are putting out their water and smoking like hell + ktm parts are a little more expensive

i am never buying a ktm..

mate of mine bought the new ktm 350

OMG, first ride leaky waterpump gasket, back in the shop, week later again leaky gasket

now the rod is faulty, apperently they are faulty from ktm and they have to be changed.. his oil is now full of metal parts. And he's not alone. All the other 350's we know have the same problems.

and if you wanna ride hard on your 2 stroke, buy the yz250, they are simply the best/fastest 2strokes out there!

Honestly, If I were you and just had to have a new bike, I would not buy a new one without finding a way to keep that RM. First its super clean, the suspension is ovbiously done up just from quick glance. You will end up sitting on the thing until 2013 to get what what its worth, because only the "right" buyer will appreciate it and pay you the top dollar its most certainly worth.

I'm mainly a recreational rider also.

I've ridden both the 250 and 300 XC models believe they were 2010s. The 300 was tricked out with over a grand in the suspension. To be honest, I wouldn't trade my 05 RM250 for either one. The power was smooth and I liked the feel of the hydraulic clutch, but since I have a rekluse the clutch and power delivery are not selling points.

My two cents.

I'm mainly a recreational rider also.

I've ridden both the 250 and 300 XC models believe they were 2010s. The 300 was tricked out with over a grand in the suspension. To be honest, I wouldn't trade my 05 RM250 for either one. The power was smooth and I liked the feel of the hydraulic clutch, but since I have a rekluse the clutch and power delivery are not selling points.

My two cents.

Which Rekluse did you get? I was thinking about trying the RevLoc but I've never actually ridden a bike that had an auto clutch so I'm not sure of the up and down sides of either.

keep the zook, but lose those handguards :smirk:

I wished you lived down south I would buy that RM from you.

Man that RM looks brand new, not sure if thats a recent picture but I would personally keep that bike and save your money, theres no reason to get into a payment if you dont have to.

I was wanting a new KTM 2 stroke also, I currently own 06 RM 250 and 06 YZ 250. Go and look at the KTMs and ride one if you can get your hands on one. Just my personal opinion is that they do appear to be a tad on the wide side even though I have heard that they are supposedly slimmer compared to bikes like ours.

Another thing I did not like was the substantial amount of raised seat height. I did not notice from looking at it in person but from production pictures there looks to also be alot of dead space between the motor and top frame rail which would give you a higher center of gravity

I have the z-start. The z-start pro is available for 06-08 models. I enjoy it. It took a little getting used to. I had it on, took it off for one ride and then reinstalled it. I have the perch adapter which allows me to use the clutch when needed.

I rode a KTM250 'six-days' that was actually ridden in the six-days event, when I worked at the Yamaha/Kawasaki shop sold KTM's as well.

I think the KTM's remind me KX's, they are different.

If that RM250 is for sale I would be interested...

Keep the RM. You will never find another one like it, in that good of shape with all the goodies. If you just got to have the KTM, then get it. Lot of KTMs around Oklahoma and they are fine bikes. I have not rode one of the new ones, but have sat on one and they do feel kinda weird. I could get use to weird.

I took the picture late last summer when I installed the RG3 triple clamps, did my normal clean up on it and rolled it out to the back yard. Granted the sun was in a great spot and I used a Cannon E20 digital SLR, so the conditions really did help. But it does pretty much look the same today ummm with the minor addition of a couple small pipe dents ... The hand guards may look excessive but they really work great.

Last year I did catch a ride on a '09 KTM 250 XC-We, KTM uses the same bar bend as Suzuki so to me the bike "felt" the same ~ ergo wise, and the power was healthy too. It didn't "zing" like an RM although it did a good job with what it had. And two years ago I managed to race a team Hare Scramble on a friends '04 KTM 450SX, and that felt fine, it was a bit heavy but all 4 strokes are... , still that KTM felt fine too.

If I got a decent offer then I guess that I would sell. Again, I would be buying another 2 stroke, a Suzuki if they still sold "Real" RM's, but a KTM would make me happy too. And voting with your pocket book has to be worth something to the OEM's.

ar2stroke ~ take some time off and head north. We have a ton of tracks and trails, and maybe you could even catch a practice day at Red Bud on a 2008 RM250....

I took the picture late last summer when I installed the RG3 triple clamps, did my normal clean up on it and rolled it out to the back yard. Granted the sun was in a great spot and I used a Cannon E20 digital SLR, so the conditions really did help. But it does pretty much look the same today ummm with the minor addition of a couple small pipe dents ... The hand guards may look excessive but they really work great.

Last year I did catch a ride on a '09 KTM 250 XC-We, KTM uses the same bar bend as Suzuki so to me the bike "felt" the same ~ ergo wise, and the power was healthy too. It didn't "zing" like an RM although it did a good job with what it had. And two years ago I managed to race a team Hare Scramble on a friends '04 KTM 450SX, and that felt fine, it was a bit heavy but all 4 strokes are... , still that KTM felt fine too.

If I got a decent offer then I guess that I would sell. Again, I would be buying another 2 stroke, a Suzuki if they still sold "Real" RM's, but a KTM would make me happy too. And voting with your pocket book has to be worth something to the OEM's.

ar2stroke ~ take some time off and head north. We have a ton of tracks and trails, and maybe you could even catch a practice day at Red Bud on a 2008 RM250....

That is a NICE looking bike!

I have to agree on voting with your pocket book, KTM is putting money in the 2 stroke family.

Suzuki is not doing to great financially from what I understand, their 2011 line up is very small.

Where I live in North West Arkansas, there is a KTM dealer and quite a few orange bikes, I like KTM's. I like all of the 2 stroke bikes, there is nothing like them.

I really like the KTM 250/300 enduro's as well.

:smirk:

I would like to go up North, I have never been up there direction.

Keep the rm if your board of it and have the new bike itch just buy some different plastics and wheels or somthing change the aperance although it does look good

Yes i realize this is a month old thread

You have a awesome looking bike let alone 1 of the last of its kind, KTM's do ride great in our MI singletrack, they are a different feeling bike that i could get along with very well here. I'd have a hard time letting that RM go though and going with a KTM i like to be the 1 that has an odd bike that is not often seen on the singletrack and there is alot of orange in the woods around here. If i were to look at a different bike i'd look towards a Husky or a GasGas but my funds are way tight right now. Hopeing to check out an 04 RM this weekend or early next week providing my bike sells this weekend.

In the end its up to you, if your happy with whatever you decide then thats all that matters, and if i had the cash i'd take that RM off your hands:thumbsup:

Yes i realize this is a month old thread

You have a awesome looking bike let alone 1 of the last of its kind, KTM's do ride great in our MI singletrack, they are a different feeling bike that i could get along with very well here. I'd have a hard time letting that RM go though and going with a KTM i like to be the 1 that has an odd bike that is not often seen on the singletrack and there is alot of orange in the woods around here. If i were to look at a different bike i'd look towards a Husky or a GasGas but my funds are way tight right now. Hopeing to check out an 04 RM this weekend or early next week providing my bike sells this weekend.

In the end its up to you, if your happy with whatever you decide then thats all that matters, and if i had the cash i'd take that RM off your hands:thumbsup:

I have to admit that I really do like the bike, it runs great, needs nothing and is really way faster than me. But it's also true that there's some things I like about the KTM's better. Where in Michigan do you ride? At the very least we need to hook up and go for a ThumperTalk Members Only ride.

Rm is a good bike. Keep it. Seen some ktms break in weird ways. One(300) burst into flames this weekend at my x-country race. Not a thing left of it.