Sign in to follow this  

Impressed with G2 Quick Throttle along with bike falling off Carrier

My local MX club consists of a tight and technical supercross track. Constantly adjusting body positioning, short straights, whoops out of corners, etc.

I ride an 08' RMZ250. Bike is awesome but I always seemed to have an issue with applying WOT. Straights are short so than you have to go from overgrip to re-adjusting constantly. On "real" mx tracks I didn't really ever have an issue.

This would cause me to get way more armpump in my right hand, cause me to drop that elbow, just a mess.

I know there is a nice write-up here about making your own quick throttle for much cheaper, but I opted for the G2 anyway.

Install was simple enough, just had to trim 2 small tabs in the cable housing. Put on a new set of grips and to the track I went.....

My pickup is in the body shop, so I'm using my old S10 Blazer with a hitch mounted carrier.

Strap the bike down and to the track I go. Finally get about 2 blocks away from the track, when all a sudden.... BOOM. Bike FELL OFF!

First, I'm thankful no one was behind me. Secondly, I'm thankful I was at slower speeds. My pride was hurt and my new grip I put on was torn. New $70 G2 throttle a tad scrapped up BUT it definitely passed the durability test! :smirk: Bike received no other damage!

Got to the track, gathered my thoughts, and was too embarassed to tell my buddies what happened :smirk:

Took about a lap to get use to the different throttle action, but wow, it helps alot.

So for the carrier, I'm using 2 pull down tie straps at the bars and a fork support between front tire and fender. Maybe I can take a photo of the setup but what can I do to prevent THAT again!?

if i was you i would take the front wheel and back wheel off and put the bike in the blazer. i just cant get myself to trust those hitch carriers.

great review btw

Thanks. BTW, this is the carrier I use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCaYPEEm4s

I don't have those straps, I'm using the hooks on the bars instead of the strap around bar method.

I agree with you, I don't trust these carriers at all and the reality came true today! I got it super cheap from a friend who got out of the sport but I think I'm going to soon give away super cheap to somebody else lol.

Also just read on here a great point to use Carabiners! Wish I knew this before, because it could have prevented the fallout!

Yea I've got one of those and I just don't trust it. I'm afraid one of the bikes is going to be falling off soon.

I am skeptical of the brace thingy between tire and fender. If it shifts or cocks a bit, then you got a loose strap, then it cocks more...

Is there a way you can strap the footpegs as well? Some of those carriers make it easy for you to strap the pegs to them. Just strapping the bars/front is asking for it.

I am skeptical of the brace thingy between tire and fender. If it shifts or cocks a bit, then you got a loose strap, then it cocks more...

Is there a way you can strap the footpegs as well? Some of those carriers make it easy for you to strap the pegs to them. Just strapping the bars/front is asking for it.

Yes, I'd have to shorten up some old straps though. I think that's what happened, the brace shifted. Brace works great IMO in the back of a pickup truck. On the carrier, as you stated, it can shift, but also it can fall out on the road...... and then ultimately the bike follows suite :smirk:

Ironically, the brace was still with the bike because it tipped straight over and then I immediately stopped.

The straps with the carabiners should be the ticket though. Along with just going back to using my pickup will be the BEST thing LOL.

My local MX club consists of a tight and technical supercross track. Constantly adjusting body positioning, short straights, whoops out of corners, etc.

I ride an 08' RMZ250. Bike is awesome but I always seemed to have an issue with applying WOT. Straights are short so than you have to go from overgrip to re-adjusting constantly. On "real" mx tracks I didn't really ever have an issue.

This would cause me to get way more armpump in my right hand, cause me to drop that elbow, just a mess.

I know there is a nice write-up here about making your own quick throttle for much cheaper, but I opted for the G2 anyway.

Install was simple enough, just had to trim 2 small tabs in the cable housing. Put on a new set of grips and to the track I went.....

My pickup is in the body shop, so I'm using my old S10 Blazer with a hitch mounted carrier.

Strap the bike down and to the track I go. Finally get about 2 blocks away from the track, when all a sudden.... BOOM. Bike FELL OFF!

First, I'm thankful no one was behind me. Secondly, I'm thankful I was at slower speeds. My pride was hurt and my new grip I put on was torn. New $70 G2 throttle a tad scrapped up BUT it definitely passed the durability test! :smirk: Bike received no other damage!

Got to the track, gathered my thoughts, and was too embarassed to tell my buddies what happened :smirk:

Took about a lap to get use to the different throttle action, but wow, it helps alot.

So for the carrier, I'm using 2 pull down tie straps at the bars and a fork support between front tire and fender. Maybe I can take a photo of the setup but what can I do to prevent THAT again!?

Dude that right there desrves a punch on your man card! glad the bikes ok!

Man card status wasn't revoked because bike didn't get fubar!