Sign in to follow this  

13 year old needs your help

So i was thinking about getting a kawi klx 140 or a yamaha ttr 125. so i need your help with finding a good bike. i'm 13 5', 1" about 90 pounds and i plan to be mostly trail riding but racing my friends every once in a while. also i want decent speed (it doesn't have to be the fastest bike in the world but at least decent). also i am leaning away from two strokes. thanks

I had a TT-R 125 when I first started out. Awesome bike, pretty much bulletproof as long as you change the oil and clean the air filter every once and awhile. Had enough power to take you just about anywhere and the electric start was awesome for a beginner. You can also do a few little mods if you ever wanted to give it a little more power.

ttr125, i would say get a crf150r, except they are outrageous for price. and good call on the no 2 strokes, would not recommend a 2 stroke for a beginner

The only problem with the ttr is that it's the perfect bike to learn on, so everyone will want to get on it, stall it 2 dozen times, then crash it and bend the handlebars.

Also, keep away from drunk adults. Everyone becomes Chad Reed after a few beers.

I had some 110cc chinese semi auto clutch for my first bike when i was 12. Sold it in a year and it worked fine. Got a CR 125 this year at 14 and was intimidated by it for the first few rides, but then one day i felt like i was fearless and it helped me alot because I am now not scared of my bike haha. I would get a TTR 125 or CRF 100. I have 2 friends, one has a TTR and one has a CRF 100, and the CRF 100 is a better bike.

i personally think you should get a crf150f, im close to your age(16) and i think a 150f will be perfect for u, it is a amazing trail bike but it also ha a grat amount of power, wen i was ur age i was riding a kx100, i learedn on a kx65 tho, it was a great bike if you ever concided two strokes

The only problem with the ttr is that it's the perfect bike to learn on, so everyone will want to get on it, stall it 2 dozen times, then crash it and bend the handlebars.

Also, keep away from drunk adults. Everyone becomes Chad Reed after a few beers.

This is awesome advice!:smirk: Or maybe even Stewart:busted:

i personally think you should get a crf150f, im close to your age(16) and i think a 150f will be perfect for u, it is a amazing trail bike but it also ha a grat amount of power, wen i was ur age i was riding a kx100, i learedn on a kx65 tho, it was a great bike if you ever concided two strokes

i thought about that and thought it might be to heavy. is there A reason it is heavier than other bikes? also the reason i didn't want a two stroke though was because i'm still kind of a beginner.

the ttr 125 is a very solid beginner bike and from my experience its peppier than the other 125 four strokes.(i learned on a klx 125) my little brother is about your height and got a bargain on an 07 crf 150r and its a very beastly little bike. he loves it, he mostly rides trails also. another practical bike is the crf 150f, its more common, and its a solid trail bike,too. the down side to the 150s is they are both pretty loud with the stock exhaust. if at all possible i would get a 150 over a 140 or 125, it will last him until he's ready for a 125t or 250f. the weight part of the bikes has never been a problem for me, he throws around the 150r like its nothing. i havent had much experience with 140s or 150fs. my friend that had the 150f was a huge football player so he didnt mention weight. i rode (and almost bought) his 150f after that klx and it seemed like a great bike.

Edited by nealracer33

Hey dude,

Im going on 14 in 19 days :smirk:

Well yeh anyway i suggest you completely skip the ttr/klx. I got a CRF150F and im 5"2' now. Had it about 8 months, and like 4 or those was sitting around with a broken wrist and waiting for parts from japan. But yeh it was good to learn on.

my first ever time on 2 wheels and i was in 5th gear zoomin round the place within a few hours. A few weeks time and im already starting jumps. You pick it up real quick and for racing or anything i would say a 150RB.

But if you have to get one of those 3 bikes. Pick the 150F. its fastest, biggest and they are complete tanks. I ran it 5th gear into a pole ( thats how i broke my wrist) i picked it up hit the eletric start it, it fired up 1st go. although i bent my forks :smirk:

Actually i got my part on tuesday, went to put it on wednesday, had some trouble and had to call honda the next day for a guy to help. And would u believe it, a possum knocked over the jug of oil i got from the forks and spilled it all over the place overnight. Getting more tomorrow and will be riding for the first time since jan 27 :prof:

Goodluck,

Klx 140 is a nice bike. With your size, You could also get the CRF100. Get a nice used one, they haven't changedin yrs. and you will be able to get your money back out of it when you want to move up. Stay away from the CRF 150 f, they are very heavy pigs.

Try to test ride all of the above. Then decide.

Or just get a 125 2-stroke. You'll want one next year anyhow. You can grow into it.

Try to test ride all of the above. Then decide.

Or just get a 125 2-stroke. You'll want one next year anyhow. You can grow into it.

125 2 stroke. Besides being a new rider, he is 5'1 and I think he said under 100 lbs. Bad advise.

klx140 or crf230f would be my suggestion

I agree with the klx 140, but I think the crf 230f is too big, seat height and weight. I think a used crf 100 at the right price will be the best bang. He can learn on it and get his money back. Easy to sell. He needs to be able to touch the ground both sides as a new rider. If not, he will get frustrated. My son started on a crf 100 at age 9 but he is a big kid. At age 12 he is 5'6 130 and on a kx 85 racing. We are converting to a big wheel but that is just to get one more season in that class before moving to 125.