big willow closed

Idaho

big willow is getting closed down to protect a plant called packards milkvetch. once again our public lands are being taken from us. this is bullshit.

Are they revoking the grazing rights to that area as well?

Heard about this on the news yesterday..... seems like once a decision is made to shut down an area...A reason can be easiliy found to justify the closure. Willow's been on the block for a while. At a minimum this allows BLM the right to close the area until they can figure out how to resolve issues.

Yeah!....I beat charlz to the link!

Had to take the wife to work so we can get on the road to Idaho City a little earlier today :smirk:

Reading the link to Packards milkvetch is interesting:

"Packard's milkvetch is a narrow endemic plant only known from a sparsely populated portion of northeastern Payette County, Idaho, approximately 15 miles east of the town of Payette. Its entire known range, which lies between Big Willow Creek to the south and Little Willow Creek to the north, is only approximately 10 square miles. The general landscape where A. cusickii var. packardiae occurs is characterized by rolling uplands and steep slopes that descend to terraced bottomlands of the main creeks or numerous minor tributaries in this area.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service classifies the plant as a Candidate species under the Endangered Species Act and identifies off-highway vehicle (OHV) use as one of the imminent and primary threats to the species and its habitat."

It only grows in that one spot, which has had OHV use for maybe, what decades? Yet continues to exist and maybe even thrive.

Begs the question... was this plant spread to this spot from somewhere else by OHV use?

not sure if the grazing rights have been revoked. u would think that if we cant ride there then they cant graze cattle and sheep there either. ya it only grows in the 10 square mile area of the entire world. give me a break. i read the same article as u charlz. saying that the ohv users have run rampant,blah blah blah thrill seeking machines. this is a bunch of shit. we have to do something about this. we are losing are riding areas.

Get active or get screwed. It takes time and effort. It also doesn't hurt to give a little money to a good cause like BRC that will fight for your right to party.

I say go pull all those plants up and then proclaim "What plant?"

not sure if the grazing rights have been revoked. u would think that if we cant ride there then they cant graze cattle and sheep there either. ya it only grows in the 10 square mile area of the entire world. give me a break. i read the same article as u charlz. saying that the ohv users have run rampant,blah blah blah thrill seeking machines. this is a bunch of shit. we have to do something about this. we are losing are riding areas.

I didn't read an article, just the link the BLM provided in the closure announcement. I know in the past there has been contention between the rancher grazing that/some of that land and OHV use. Cows wandering aimlessly seems more destructive than OHV's on established trails where nothing is growing anyway.

I say go pull all those plants up and then proclaim "What plant?"

My thoughts exactly . . .

Replace my MSR Fuel bottles with some roundup.

Greg

Has anyone tried to roll some up and smoke it...??? If it's that rare maybe it packs quite a kick...??

Ride it anyway. It is our public land not sole ownership of some biologist idiot at the BLM.

I have had enugh of the closures 1,000's of miles and now I will ride where I please. The fine is just the cost of riding if they can even come close to catching me.

F the BLM and Forest service for their lack of comon sense. They sure don't have a problem when it comes time to sell our timber to the highest bidder.

Lets compare logging to single track dirtbike trails and see what the results are.

2GroundClear2Gal06.jpg

For the next time....

heard theres a meeting @ the mccain middle school in payette on june 8 about the big willow closure. if you can please attend, and tell everyone that u ride with to attend. thinkn the more people that attend the better are chances are that we can come to a comprimise about this area great riding area.

heard theres a meeting @ the mccain middle school in payette on june 8 about the big willow closure. if you can please attend, and tell everyone that u ride with to attend. thinkn the more people that attend the better are chances are that we can come to a comprimise about this area great riding area.

If you could find a link or post up more info on this that would be great. It would help spread the word. If you could provide some defanite confirmed info on this I would put together a flyer to put up at local dirtbike stores

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cdc/cdc_pdf/u99man05.pdf

Here is a very interesting Article published back in 1997 by Fish and Game. Read the section "Land Ownership and Threats". In my opinion, the BLM needs to provide "explicit" proof that OHV's are an actual threat to this plant with all of the trail systems in place there to ride. If everyone stays on these trails there should not be an issue. However, the probabiliyy of a cow or sheep grazing or trampling this plant is exponentially greater than a dirt bike chewing one up. Oh. and the fact that this plant was discovered 20+ years ago and is still here and flurishing begs the question.

After reading this article and if BLM can't provide proof that OHV's are a direct threat to this plant, then NO Landowner should be allow to graze their cattle on it.. PERIOD.

"Packard's milkvetch is a narrow endemic plant only known from a sparsely populated portion of northeastern Payette County, Idaho, approximately 15 miles east of the town of Payette. Its entire known range, which lies between Big Willow Creek to the south and Little Willow Creek to the north, is only approximately 10 square miles. The general landscape where A. cusickii var. packardiae occurs is characterized by rolling uplands and steep slopes that descend to terraced bottomlands of the main creeks or numerous minor tributaries in this area.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service classifies the plant as a Candidate species under the Endangered Species Act and identifies off-highway vehicle (OHV) use as one of the imminent and primary threats to the species and its habitat."

It only grows in that one spot, which has had OHV use for maybe, what decades? Yet continues to exist and maybe even thrive.

Begs the question... was this plant spread to this spot from somewhere else by OHV use?

I am going to attend the meeting in Emmett.

If you could find a link or post up more info on this that would be great. It would help spread the word. If you could provide some defanite confirmed info on this I would put together a flyer to put up at local dirtbike stores

Public meeting details are in the news release:

http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/info/newsroom/2011/may/4RFO-Packards-closure.html

Text here:

"Release Date: 05/25/11

Contacts: Larry Ridenhour, 208-384-3334

MJ Byrne, 208-384-3393

BLM Hosts Discussion of Closure of Public Lands in Payette County to Protect Rare Plant

BOISE – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will host two public meetings to ask for public input into long-term management of 7,100 acres of public lands where a rare plant, Packard’s milkvetch, is found.

Meetings will be held in Payette and Emmett, Idaho, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. as follows:

· June 8th at McCain Middle School, 400 North Iowa Avenue in Payette;

· June 9th at Emmett High School, 721 West 12th Street in Emmett.

Effective immediately, the BLM is closing 37 miles of roads and trails to motorized off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreational travel on public lands north of Big Willow Creek in Payette County to protect habitat for Packard’s milkvetch. Motorized travel on lands adjacent to these roads and trails is also restricted. Packard’s milkvetch was recently listed as a candidate species for protection under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The closure affects approximately 7,100 acres northwest of Emmett, Idaho, which the BLM administers.

BLM personnel, in cooperation with the USFWS and adjacent landowners, have placed information signs and fencing at main entry points to the affected area and other locations in the area. Maps of the affected area are available at the Boise District BLM Office, 3948 Development Avenue, Boise, Idaho 83705, along with closure notice documents. Information about the closure is also available on the BLM Idaho website: http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/fo/four_rivers.html .

“This action is necessary because habitat for the Packard’s milkvetch is at risk from further damage by motorized OHV traffic,” said Terry Humphrey, Field Manager of the BLM Four Rivers Field Office. “Temporarily closing the area to OHV motorized traffic will allow us to work with the public to develop long-term plans for preserving the plant and its habitat and for managing recreational activities in the area.”

Lands affected by the restriction will remain open to other uses, including non-motorized activities, Humphrey said, also noting that there are opportunities for OHV riding without an admission charge at the Clay Peak Motorcycle Park, located less than ten miles west of the Big Willow area on public lands leased to Payette County.

Packard’s milkvetch is found only in a 10-square-mile area in Payette County, Idaho. There are 26 known sites within this area where the plant currently grows, 17 of which are on BLM- administered public lands. The USFWS has identified OHV use as one of the imminent and primary threats to the species. The USFWS estimates that failing to control OHV impacts to the milkvetch and its habitat could lead to its listing as Threatened or Endangered under the ESA. Unauthorized OHV activity directly and indirectly impacts the milkvetch by destroying plants, increasing sedimentation from adjacent areas, and allowing noxious and invasive weeds to establish and expand.

Humphrey said that guidance for managing habitat and OHV recreation in the future will be developed as directed in the National Environmental Policy Act with the input and involvement of the public and BLM planning regulations and policies. Comments will be accepted until June 24, 2011.

The BLM will enforce the closure under the authority of Section 303 of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act and pursuant regulations (43 CFR 8341, 8364). Federal, State and local employees performing official duties and those with written permission from the BLM are exempt from the motorized travel restriction."

Brian Hawthorne is the Public Lands Policy Director for the Blue Ribbon Coalition. He is planning on coming to the June 9, 6:30pm meeting in Emmett to possibly help offer some input on the Big Willow riding area closure. He told me the best thing we could do is talk to the BLM about managing that area with possibilty to reroute trails around effected areas or possible work something out to move the whole riding area to an uneffected area. With this plant being or looking to be on the endangered list its better to work with authorities, otherwise they could and more than likely close the whole area for good! Brian also stated it would be great if any club members (from other clubs too) that really know the area or know personel from BLM or personel from the surrounding cities like Emmett, Payette, Fruitland, etc. it would be great to see these folks at the meeting. Katherine I sent this to you also since you seem to know alot of people from Boise Ridge Riders and TVTMA, I thought maybe you would know some of these folks that might know others to help out?