Sign in to follow this  

Butt packs vs back packs

Talk to me about butt packs vs. back packs (like a thor hydrant, or camel back) for carrying tools/supplies from a RACING standpoint. I carry a Thor hydrant packed to the gills for my trail forays but I think I might need something else for offroad racing. Thanks for all replies :smirk:

I used to have tools in a larger backpack/camel back, as I thought fanny packs were only for old women with eighty-seven cats... A friend pushed hard for me to try a fanny pack. What a huge difference moving the weight lower makes. I still run a camel back backpack, but tools are in a fanny pack and I'd never go back.

I like the fanny packs,but have had mud get into the buckles and not stay strapped.Just one downside of fanny packs.

I used to have tools in a larger backpack/camel back, as I thought fanny packs were only for old women with eighty-seven cats... A friend pushed hard for me to try a fanny pack. What a huge difference moving the weight lower makes. I still run a camel back backpack, but tools are in a fanny pack and I'd never go back.

I would have to agree with this. Seemed much less fatiguing when moving the weight down and not having the backpack pulling back on your shoulders. I like to put a ziptie through both sides of the buckle on mine in case it becomes unbuckled. I feel like it might be hard to notice it falling off.

I use a MSR fanny pack with 99% of my tools and a regular camelback under my chest pro. Every time I rest in an enduro I just unbuckle the fanny pack to rest for awhile. Its a little harder to get a backpack off and on in a hurry.

I have an Ogio I got on RockymountainATV. Really like it so far.

Link is Here

I have that same one. It's freak'n huge if you don't carry a spare tube. I guess I could use the tire pouch to pack a lunch or a jacket but usually it's just flopping around empty. It would be nice if the cinch strap on the very front pulled tighter when empty. Don't get me wrong, it holds tools well with individual straps, it has cool expandable/waterproof(resistant) side compartments and so far seems to be high quality. For my needs, it's a bit too big. Just right if you need to carry a tube though.

For trail riding I use a Camelbak for water, and a fanny pack for tools and such. For racing (since our winter harescramble races are only 1.25 hours), I'll probably only use the C-bak. Not much real chance to drink while balls to the wall, other than at a possible bottleneck. So, hydrate the day before, tank up on water right before the start, and chug water right after the race. Get a drink during the race if the opportunity presents itself.

Nothing is going to happen to the bike during the race that isn't going to be terminal anyway, so no need to carry tools.

My .02

Hey, if you are set on carrying both water and tools, and still be comfortable check out the Fly Convertible. I won one the year before from our series, it is a regular chest protector with excellent shoulder guards, the back is pretty much a back-pack with a large capacity camel back built in (no plastic back piece like standard chest protector). This product has excellent, soft and really thick shoulder straps, plus it straps across your chest and above your waist. It is very comfortable but i find it too heavy to race with.

Hey, if you are set on carrying both water and tools, and still be comfortable check out the Fly Convertible. I won one the year before from our series, it is a regular chest protector with excellent shoulder guards, the back is pretty much a back-pack with a large capacity camel back built in (no plastic back piece like standard chest protector). This product has excellent, soft and really thick shoulder straps, plus it straps across your chest and above your waist. It is very comfortable but i find it too heavy to race with.

+1 I have the Fly convertible and it works really well. It is really comfortable and versatile.

MSR fanny pack dude! this pack is a sleek and low profile competition fanny pack with tool storage, zippered belt compartments, tool organizer, and lots of xtras dude! you will have the last laugh!

if i wear a small backpack and a fanny pack both carrying the same weight/items, i notice the fanny pack more.

I do this too and feel very comfortable.

Has anyone done a seat mod to carry tools under the seat on their Trailbike? That way you would only need to carry one tool on your body to get the seat off. It seems to me to be the best place to add weight to the bike as opposed to the front or rear fender

I hate the feeling of a bumbag or too much weight on my back.

Has anyone done a seat mod to carry tools under the seat on their Trailbike? That way you would only need to carry one tool on your body to get the seat off. It seems to me to be the best place to add weight to the bike as opposed to the front or rear fender

I hate the feeling of a bumbag or too much weight on my back.

I don't know about your bike, but there's nowhere under the seat of my YZ250 where I could fit tools. I'm considering mounting a pack to my rear fender like my dad's old XR had.

2745265.jpg

Do you have an Ogio Flight Vest? Think you could use both?

I do not have the flight vest so I have no idea. Sorry.

me too :smirk:

me three. I carry water and snacks in my camelback and tools in the fanny pack. That way i can also use the camelback for mtn biking or xc skiing or hiking with the dog and not worry about taking my tools out to save we ight.