Sign in to follow this  

Gearing for 2003 KTM 200 EXC

I have a 2003 200 EXC. Stock gearing is 14/48. I am getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets and want to know what the best combination would be for slow trail riding. I ride with my young son and do a lot of stop and go riding so being able to lug down and go slow on trails is a must. What do you recommend for gearing and what type of sprockets/chain combo does everyone run?

Thanks

Todd

I have a 2003 200 EXC. Stock gearing is 14/48. I am getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets and want to know what the best combination would be for slow trail riding. I ride with my young son and do a lot of stop and go riding so being able to lug down and go slow on trails is a must. What do you recommend for gearing and what type of sprockets/chain combo does everyone run?

Thanks

Todd

to smooth out the power delivery, -2 on the rear works well and will reduce shifting. Otherwise, I have found stock gearing pretty good for riding.

So you are saying a 46 rear would smooth things out and require less shifiting? That would be great for riding with my son. KTM makes a replacement steel sprocket in black which is only $30 bucks, but the problem is it only comes in 45T. Would that work and produce the same or similar results?

Thanks

So you are saying a 46 rear would smooth things out and require less shifiting? That would be great for riding with my son. KTM makes a replacement steel sprocket in black which is only $30 bucks, but the problem is it only comes in 45T. Would that work and produce the same or similar results?

Thanks

Yep, should work fine, and may work better for that particular purpose. You end up using the clutch more, but it's not bad. The other thing you can do is go up one on the rear and use 4th for almost everything, which is what I did for some time.

I know RMMC has had some RMA or other brand of sprockets really cheap, like less than $20. I have also found nice cheap sprockets on ktmtalk classifieds with a WTB ad.

I would also recommend the 14/46 on the 200. It makes 2nd and 3rd gear much more usable to me in tight stuff. Renthal makes a 46 tooth sprocket and they are aound $60 shipped on line.

I went 14/46 with a 13 cs to change out, 14/46 is good for cruising and swaping the 13 in give you a little better gearing for tight stuff but works with the same chain.

I went 14/46 with a 13 cs to change out, 14/46 is good for cruising and swaping the 13 in give you a little better gearing for tight stuff but works with the same chain.

what I like is being able to swap out the rear sprocket 2 teeth without having to run the adjusters in or out, just flip the blocks. :smirk: