Downshifting and braking with rear brake at the same time. How to?

Hi everyone,

I'm riding Honda CR 125 '02 and having difficulties with downshifting while braking with rear brake. I am always riding on balls og the feet so when I need to downshift or brake I need to move my foot forward, touch the lever and then put the foot back on the balls. Everything is fine except when I need to downshift and brake on the same time. Then I need to move both feet forward on the pegs on the heels and control the levers. If the track is bumpy, I can't do that because I simply loose control of the bike since I can't squeeze it hard enough and at the same time precisly control levers. So now I only feel comfortable either downshifting or braking - one foot on the balls, second on the heel.

How should it be done correctly? Firstly braking, then downshifting or in reverse order? Or should I transit feet on the heels before corner, then downshift and brake on the same time and bring feet back on the balls only after exiting the corner?

keep your feet central on the pegs and use the front brake more

I came from road racing so I've been always using just the front brake. But now I understood that rear brake is really very usefull and I am trying to use it much more often. I just don't know what is the correct way of using rear brake while downshifting in standing position.

I have a similar situation. I can downshift or brake, but not bothe togather. I ride with my arches on the peg, so position is not my problem. I tend to believe that my poor brain is not capable of doing so many things at the same time. I have compensated this deficiency in brain power by getting real good with my front brake AND learning to go into corners faster than I really think I can. I am slowly learning to downshift and brake...but only when sitting down...and only when I really think about it

But you could stop way faster if youi used both front and rear brake hard and at the same time, but then again, how and in which time should be downshifting done? Just before braking, just after braking or on the same time? Having in mind that the track is really bumpy on the braking part.

Come on guys answer the question. Yes use both brakes.. But the sequence should be something like this. Full throttle in approach. When you recognize turn coming prepare for turn in time. move you right foot forward in braking position at the same time you move right index finger to front brake.hold throttle into turn late. release throttle, lean into turn and as soon as throttle is shut or near, downshift while braking, remember the brake operators are already in position. Duringthis you should be wieghting the rear half of the bike...

Practice the technique without a turn and very slow to start. Pick up the pace and then add in a flat turn... it will come

You have about 6 or 7 things going on very fast in a limited mount of time.. Practice 25% speed then pick it up as it get easier.

Come on guys answer the question. Yes use both brakes.. But the sequence should be something like this. Full throttle in approach. When you recognize turn coming prepare for turn in time. move you right foot forward in braking position at the same time you move right index finger to front brake.hold throttle into turn late. release throttle, lean into turn and as soon as throttle is shut or near, downshift while braking, remember the brake operators are already in position. Duringthis you should be wieghting the rear half of the bike...

Practice the technique without a turn and very slow to start. Pick up the pace and then add in a flat turn... it will come

You have about 6 or 7 things going on very fast in a limited mount of time.. Practice 25% speed then pick it up as it get easier.

:smirk:

squeeze with your legs. when i come into a turn i am usually standing due to breaking bumps, but my left foot isnt really on the peg. i just kind of tap the shifter with my toes and then put my foot back down. of course this is while using the rear brake and i move my left foot forward before the turn like was said above. and granted i am no pro but this works for me, but practice makes perfect.:smirk: