Sign in to follow this  

dodgy repairs

thought it would be interesting to see or hear about the dodgy things people have done to their bikes,or damage from previous owners.

the swing arm on my bike didn't have bearing on one side,just a large washer sized just right acting as a bushing wish i took a photo of the set up.

post your stories or photos

Girlfriends hair-tie on the choke lever to hold it open after the spring fell off,

copper wire to hold the back light in place after the plastic fitting snapped,

But my favourite has to be on an old XRB200 I used to have, where the previous owner had stitched a broken chain cover back together by drilling holes along the broken edges and threading cable ties through.

A mate of mine broke his gear lever and just clamped a set of multi grips to the shaft rode it all day and last time i checked they where still on there

I once broke a brake lever but wanted to ride, So I found a piece of copper pipe in the garage that fit and hammered it over the broken end of the lever. Worked like a charm.

broke a throttle cable once and just duct taped the cable to the cross-bar pad and rode all day, little tough to get use to

Riding buddy of mine is the king of sketchy repairs.

Two years ago, his rear master cylinder reservoir fell OFF and the hose got torn....he lost the entire setup. So, he goes and scavenges one off a junk bike that was sitting behind his garage, but that one didn't quite line up on the mounting tab. So, after he bled the brakes and got everything working, he used 8-10 cable ties to secure the master to the frame.

Been like that now for two seasons.

This is also the same guy who rode with a broken rear fender for 7 weekends. We're not talking cracked, or a small chunk missing, the fender was broke off flush with the rear of the seat.

When he finally did get around to replacing that rear fender, he discovered he only had two bolts to hold it in place....the other 4 were missing. Instead of going to the hardware store and picking some up, he just ran zip ties through the holes.

His four wheeler, the exhaust started to crack around the header-muffler junction. His solution? Cut up a few soup cans and use a combination of baling wire, hose clamps and JB weld to seal it up. Been like that for who knows how many years now.....

His old pickup, the brake lines going to the rear rotted out. His solution? Put a brass plug in the master cylinder for the rear brake port. Drove that for 4 years with no rear brakes.

He bought a very clean, mint condition Triumph road bike this spring....I can't wait to see how this is going to turn out.

A buddy learned if you run out of brake fluid, 2t oil will work for a few hours......till the seals go full gunnybag.

I fixed a swingarm for guy that seized a adjuster, it required cutting the side of the swingarm off to expose the adjuster. Then a weld up, re tap and re machine to original profile. Pretty sure next time he will anti sieze it......or insure it and burn it. It was a lot of work.

But my favourite has to be on an old XRB200 I used to have, where the previous owner had stitched a broken chain cover back together by drilling holes along the broken edges and threading cable ties through.

I'm a fan of zip-tie stitching. When I had my snowmobile, I ran it for a few years with the hood stitched together in various places until I could afford a lexan hood. My kid's bike has some stitching on a crack on the rear fender; not really noticeable. I've even stitched a visor back together.

Mechanical stuff is a different story, of course.

I crashed on a free Red Bull ride day and my radiator was leaking, so I jb welded it until I could buy a new one. I have safety wired a number plate on before. I have used a bottle cap as a seat washer before. I WILL be stitching my shoei visor to ride this weekend lol. My roommate has wood screws in various places on his bike.

All of my hokie doke repairs have been at the track as an emergency. As soon as I get home, or can afford to do it the right way I do. I keep my bike a clean as possible. I can't say the same for my roommate though lol.

Within the first few laps of practice once I snapped off the head of my rear break lever. I drilled a hole in the remaining straight shaft and ran a bolt through it, and presto I had brakes for that day.

I'm a fan of zip-tie stitching. When I had my snowmobile, I ran it for a few years with the hood stitched together in various places until I could afford a lexan hood. My kid's bike has some stitching on a crack on the rear fender; not really noticeable. I've even stitched a visor back together.

Mechanical stuff is a different story, of course.

I had too admit, it did look pretty cool! like a scar from a knife fight