Make the kTM Mini Adventure a SX

Hi guys!

I'm going to buy a 2005 Mini Adventure like this for my little daughter 4 years old and first bike:

59701668.jpg

Now she really like the motocross she has a 2003 pw 50.

I think that in a year she will need a more powerful bike. How do I transform a mini andventure into SX50 with small wheel?

like this:

f_195462427-ffdbaade.jpeg

I wouldn't waste my time trying to do that. The engines are different. By the looks of it the suspension is different as well.

It would be cheaper selling it and buying the Senior later

But there is a way to improve it?

Power delivery on those bikes is all in clutch engagement. So yes you can get more power out of them switching to the SR clutch setup. i wouldn't doubt the MA is jetted rich to detune them. Fine tuned jetting and maybe advancing the timing, raising compression, etc could bring more power out.

I went the other way around and got my 5yr old son a SX SR which I've had to detune untill he's ready for more power.

Power delivery on those bikes is all in clutch engagement. So yes you can get more power out of them switching to the SR clutch setup. i wouldn't doubt the MA is jetted rich to detune them. Fine tuned jetting and maybe advancing the timing, raising compression, etc could bring more power out.

I went the other way around and got my 5yr old son a SX SR which I've had to detune untill he's ready for more power.

did you have to lower the SR at all for your boy?? I have the opportunity to get an 05 Pro senior for cheap but my 5 year old is on the short side. He goes good on his PW but I noticed all the configence is in being able to touch the ground.

the only real differences are the engine and front fork and break set up. the MA has a drum brake and the SX has a disk. not hard to do, but these bikes are very inexpensive on the used market.

did you have to lower the SR at all for your boy?? I have the opportunity to get an 05 Pro senior for cheap but my 5 year old is on the short side. He goes good on his PW but I noticed all the configence is in being able to touch the ground.

My son is a tall 5yr old and I had to put the subframe at the low setting and raise the forks in the clamps for him to barely tippy toe. He needs me to help him start, but he's figured out how to stop with a little higher spot on the side for his foot. So he stops it, gets off himself, and puts it on the kickstand. He figured this out when he finnished his first race and pulled into the pits, and no one was there to help him, we were out watching on the course :ride:

My son is a tall 5yr old and I had to put the subframe at the low setting and raise the forks in the clamps for him to barely tippy toe. He needs me to help him start, but he's figured out how to stop with a little higher spot on the side for his foot. So he stops it, gets off himself, and puts it on the kickstand. He figured this out when he finnished his first race and pulled into the pits, and no one was there to help him, we were out watching on the course :ride:
Thats awesome. I'm going to go ahead and get the Pro SR because its a good deal. Whats the deal with changing the clutch so it engages as soon as you crack the throttle???What setup would I be looking for to swap out on a 05 Pro senior???

Thanks for your time.

Thats awesome. I'm going to go ahead and get the Pro SR because its a good deal. Whats the deal with changing the clutch so it engages as soon as you crack the throttle???What setup would I be looking for to swap out on a 05 Pro senior???

Thanks for your time.

Put the Mini Adventure clutch springs in with 1mm of preload rather than the washer stack for early smooth engagement. These bikes have alot of snap, so I've also richened the jetting right up on the air screw and raised the needle 2 clips above optimum to smooth the power out for learning. Every day I lean it out a hair as he gets better.

Here's a couple pics from last night, second one shows how tall the bike is on him.

robbietrackjune011.jpg

robbietrackjune032.jpg

Thats really awesome!!!

That bike is a 2000 pro senior?

It looks like it has 10 inch wheels at both ends?

The one I'm getting has a 12 in the front????

Thats really awesome!!!

That bike is a 2000 pro senior?

It looks like it has 10 inch wheels at both ends?

The one I'm getting has a 12 in the front????

You're correct on both accounts. 2000 pro sr and 10" wheels, front and back. I'm pretty sure seat height has remained the same though. Maybe compare specs between a 2000 and your year.

I like the older air cooled model as it doesn't have the overheating issues in the woods that the liquid cooled ones do. That is my ultimate goal, to steer him more the Hare scramble way than MX.

We'll see about that though, as he's all about the jumping :ride:

Dad's a lame rider, he can't even do any tricks :lol:

You're correct on both accounts. 2000 pro sr and 10" wheels, front and back. I'm pretty sure seat height has remained the same though. Maybe compare specs between a 2000 and your year.

I like the older air cooled model as it doesn't have the overheating issues in the woods that the liquid cooled ones do. That is my ultimate goal, to steer him more the Hare scramble way than MX.

We'll see about that though, as he's all about the jumping :ride:

Dad's a lame rider, he can't even do any tricks :lol:

Thats funny!

I had a change of heart and just pulled the trigger on a 2003 Pro JUNIOR!

original owner...all stock except its got the spring clutch instead of washers?

Clean little bike not ridden much. 500 bucks.

Thats funny!

I had a change of heart and just pulled the trigger on a 2003 Pro JUNIOR!

original owner...all stock except its got the spring clutch instead of washers?

Clean little bike not ridden much. 500 bucks.

Sounds like a good buy. I was originally looking for the JR for my son but they're rare around here. All I could find was a SR at a decent price. In the end it saves me one step on bikes, but takes him a little longer to get in the woods without being able to touch the ground.This bike should be good for a couple yrs.

They do grow like weeds though :ride:

I took him out to the track today and let him ride. Only took a couple minutes to adjust from the PW. He was comfortable right away.

He rode that little thing all day long.

Then when we were getting ready to leave, I tried starting the bike again and it wouldnt start??? Now it will start and run intermittently for 30r 4 seconds then die. Like somethings cutting spark..... Maybe bad kill button?Plug Cap or stator??Oh well...here we go....

Bad stator. I also bought a Mini adventure seat...2 inches lower and bolts right on. Touching the ground is a really big deal. I also checked the clutch out and it has the adventure springs instead of the washers.

The clutch nut also came loose one time..........

The clutch nut also came loose one time..........

This has happened to me to. Do you have the clutch nut that also serves as a kickstart gear?

Bad design, every time you kick over the bike it try's to loosen off the nut.

A SR is very easy to lower. There is a bolt on the frame under the seat to lower the rear and then just push the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. If really necessary shave the seat a bit. That is a way cheaper idea than trying to convert a smaller bike to a bigger one. Some have even taken a mini/jr swing arm and put that on the SR. Go to www.KTMTALK.com and you will find any and all answers.

This has happened to me to. Do you have the clutch nut that also serves as a kickstart gear?

Bad design, every time you kick over the bike it try's to loosen off the nut.

Yes, kickstarter engages the clutch hub. Red loctite and 25 ft lbs on the nut...........no more....no less. Its working good. On your clutch setup you have the stock washer on top and bottom of the spring....then you added one more to that on the top?

This bike also sprang a couple oil leaks over the weekend...countershaft and kickstart shaft. Double o-ringed the kickstarter and put a new counter-seal.....No more leaks.

A SR is very easy to lower. There is a bolt on the frame under the seat to lower the rear and then just push the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. If really necessary shave the seat a bit. That is a way cheaper idea than trying to convert a smaller bike to a bigger one. Some have even taken a mini/jr swing arm and put that on the SR. Go to www.KTMTALK.com and you will find any and all answers.
Yeah i already knew about the shock bolt...I went ahead and got a junior anyway......I can raise it when he;s ready.
Yes, kickstarter engages the clutch hub. Red loctite and 25 ft lbs on the nut...........no more....no less. Its working good. On your clutch setup you have the stock washer on top and bottom of the spring....then you added one more to that on the top?

This bike also sprang a couple oil leaks over the weekend...countershaft and kickstart shaft. Double o-ringed the kickstarter and put a new counter-seal.....No more leaks.

Only blue loctite on mine, and a couple screwed threads from previous owner having it fall off. Check it periodically now.

I have the spring and a 1mm thick shim I salvaged from the old washer stack on the top for preload.I don't have the stock washers in there, don't have them or know there thickness.