Sign in to follow this  

2009 WR250R Aus version, chop the tail off

Not sure if the other international versions have this, but on the back of the Aus version the blinkers, and integrated tail light/brake light are in a good position. Then there is this monstrosity of an added assembly that must come out another foot to hold a license plate holder/illumination light with a bit of a fender....it is hideous.

Rather than replace the blinkers and tail light, can i just chop off the license plate/fender assembly? It's aluminum so I could actually bend it a bit and attach the license plate to that.

there is no legal requirement for the license plate to be lit is there?

Anyone done this?

Thanks

can't say about legal, but: I just went out to the garage and looked at mine. I don't care all that much about the looks, I'm kind of a function guy. If you remove it, you will need to keep two things in mind.

- you'll need to come up with another tag illumination lamp. Shouldn't be too hard, but it it something.

- the bigger point is to be sure that under full suspension compression, the tire doesn't contact the plate. That would be less than ideal.

Thanks Yamaguy, well the license will be about 6" higher up so it will have less chance of being hit by the wheel. I checked to see if the license requires illumination and it does....so it is not as simple as I thought. I may wreck alot trying my mod.

There is another reason for it besides looks....a few pounds of weight to come off.

Thanks Yamaguy, well the license will be about 6" higher up so it will have less chance of being hit by the wheel. I checked to see if the license requires illumination and it does....so it is not as simple as I thought. I may wreck alot trying my mod.

There is another reason for it besides looks....a few pounds of weight to come off.

Just ride naked...same results!:smirk: