[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

T.d.c

no way to "lock" it. Just use a small breaker bar or similar to hold the end of the crank at TDC. Make sure you are on compression stroke! Cam lobes should point away from each other at TDC compression stroke.

Cheers!

When I installed the tensioner the cam wheels moved slightly, have I installed it wrong? (I collapsed it first then turned anti clock wise to release)

The tensioner has nothing to do with being TDC. TDC is done exactly as manual shows. You shouldn't have to turn it. Just pull out the screwdriver or bit that you turned holding it collapsed. Once screwdriver removed tensioner should snap out into place.

Yeah it snapped out fine, but in doing so pulled the alignment markings on the cam wheel slightly.

Just wandered if that's a problem?

It is possible for the marks to be slightly out. Important point is...are they now the same as before? A good idea is to count and mark the number of links between the marks on the gears. Doing it this way, its hard to mess up.

The link number is fine, and I set it at t.d.c on the crank and cam before fitting the chain, then checked all lined up, but when I released the tensioner the markings moved on the cam but not the fly wheel. (where the slack was taken up)

My fear is the chain is to tight, as when I installed the tensioner it did not release till I turned it a tiny bit. Then it popped out and the chain is tight.

Thoughts?

If the link count is good then it's OK. BUT....if it were me, I would re-install the tensioner to be on the safe side. Well actually, I prefer a manual tensioner, but thats just me.

Just turn the motor over by hand and see if it lines back up.

Yupper ....with the spark plug out of course, nice and slow. I typically rotate the engine 720, check, rotate 720 again and check. Then pop the valve cover on.

The marks should all line up perfectly with the tensioner properly installed.

Install both cams and the chain with the tensioner removed. Using your finger, turn the intake cam clockwise (backwards) gently so that there is no slack in the drive-side of the chain. All of your marks should line up perfectly in this position. Now you can install your tensioner and double-check the alignment marks.

Proper chain tension is set once the tensioner is installed into the cylinder. Simply wind up the tensioner spring (turning clockwise) and then release it. It will automatically adjust to the proper setting.

Rotate the engine several times and make a final check of all your markings with the tensioner installed. Oh and dont forget to check the valve clearance too! =]

Hope that helps!

The marks should all line up perfectly with the tensioner properly installed.

Install both cams and the chain with the tensioner removed. Using your finger, turn the intake cam clockwise (backwards) gently so that there is no slack in the drive-side of the chain. All of your marks should line up perfectly in this position. Now you can install your tensioner and double-check the alignment marks.

Proper chain tension is set once the tensioner is installed into the cylinder. Simply wind up the tensioner spring (turning clockwise) and then release it. It will automatically adjust to the proper setting.

Rotate the engine several times and make a final check of all your markings with the tensioner installed. Oh and dont forget to check the valve clearance too! =]

Hope that helps!

Got it perfect now, took it out an started again as above, all is now well for the green giant...:smirk:

Thanks for all the help :smirk:

I have had a similar issue also, but now I take a small amount of finger nail polish and mark the cams and chain before I release the tension. Now the same links on the chain can be installed on the same teeth on the cams. I believe I may have broken my tensioner cause my bike has jumps out of time for the second time. I have ordered a new tensioner and will be installing it this weekend, just in time to go riding at Hatfield McCoy.

Your off By my eye... remove the starter, tensioner and skip the Exhaust cam counter clock wise a couple off teeth. Should be 29 pins to line up the Intake mark. But the book outlines it great. So check that out. Check the Crank TDC mark frequently. I also use Tire Paint to mark every thing... it seems to come off nice, and semi clean. This helped when I miss counted links, and had to change it.

Edited by Baxtah
adding text