Sign in to follow this  

2008 300xc v2 2009 250xcf fork question

My question is are the internals for a 08 300xc and a 2009 250xcf the same? I am aware the valving and springs will be different. The reason for my question is the forks on my 250 are significantly better then my sons 300. We are trying to decide weather to keep the 300 or sell it and upgrade. I am having to totally rebuild the engine and if we can then get his forks working as well as mine then I think it is a keeper for another season or two.

The 09 KTM forks are known to be a little better stock than the 08's across the board. This does not mean that the 08's cannot be as good when properly tuned.

Best bet is to send both ends to a competent tuner. Expensive, but worthwhile, IMO.

Did you reduce the fork oil amount on those 08's? That is the first step. I think they come stock with about 385cc in each leg (outer oil). This is at least 20mm too much for most riders. You want to use all the travel at both ends. Watch the dust lines. If you are not bottoming occasionally, you are not making use of all of your suspension. I wouldn't sell a good bike because the suspension doesn't work. Fix it or get someone to fix it. Just for the record, the shock can be made to work significantly better on both of those bikes by the right tuner. Night and day.

If you haven't reduced the fork oil level in the 08's, then do it. It will smooth out the midstroke harshness quite a bit.

4 stroke is going to make the front end feel more planted than on the 2 stroke. the 09 has better valving than the 08. Not sure if they are internally the same, but likely. Swap forks between bikes and see what difference the 4 stroke makes. Then, if not satisfied, you can definitely make the forks on the 08 work very well with a revalve. My 07 SXFTC forks worked very well after being revalved, but didn't work as well on my SX as they did on my SXF, the SXF being more planted. I traded for the SX and we swapped susp components so I had the same forks on a 4 stroke and 2 stroke.

Thanks for the info. This bike, the 300, has been a problem from the start. The list of unusual issues is allmost beyound belief. From a shock blowing and destroying itself to main bearings going out. This last go round was the bottom end going out. I should not have been surprised since it was the only thing that had not gone. And before anyone says it, this is my sons bike but I maintain it and my first KTM was a 1976 Penton 175 10th anniversery addition I bought new. Many, many a bike in between. It is getting a full rebuild this time around and maybe the curse will pass. A suspension revalve I guess will be included.

Thanks for the info. This bike, the 300, has been a problem from the start. The list of unusual issues is allmost beyound belief. From a shock blowing and destroying itself to main bearings going out. This last go round was the bottom end going out. I should not have been surprised since it was the only thing that had not gone. And before anyone says it, this is my sons bike but I maintain it and my first KTM was a 1976 Penton 175 10th anniversery addition I bought new. Many, many a bike in between. It is getting a full rebuild this time around and maybe the curse will pass. A suspension revalve I guess will be included.

if human hands built it, it can be a lemon.....I have been lucky, hopefully this time around, you have better luck. :smirk:

sorry to hear about your issues with the 300. That's a pain for you obviously. If it's anything like around here, the kid just moves to the next bike for a while....yours! LOL. Shop carefully for a suspension guy and you/your son will be rewarded handsomely.