Montana Help with Montana trail riding areas

There's not a lot listed on the "Where to Ride" page for Montana. I know there's a few bike trails out there because I've found them by accident while hiking. And the National Forest websites no longer give out any detailed info about OHV trails.

If anyone is willing to share that would be great. If there's a website out there somewhere that gives out trail maps of BLM/NF trails, please post. Or maybe someone could update the "Where to ride" section. I was looking for the trails around Dillon, south of Bozeman, Big/little belts or any other singletrack trail west of Billings.

Most popular area would be Pipestone. Easy to find off I-90 near Whitehall. Lots of quad and single tracks there.

South of Bozeman...there are bunch of trails open to motorcycles between Big Sky and West Yellowstone. Season for these trails are short, but worth it.

If you're into racing, check out www.montanaxc.com

I'm going to have to check out that area south of Bozeman. I was hoping to find some late summer high altitude riding. Looks like I'm going to have to physically go talk to Forest Service to get trail info. I found a bike shop that had links for trail maps to a bunch of these areas (through the FS), but they've all been removed.:smirk:

Trying to find a map I downloaded a while ago. If I can't find it soon i'll post a few good trailhead/routes for you.

Pipestone/Homestake is nice, but gets a lot of use. I prefer to ride here during the week, early mornings on the weekends, or at night!

My second favorite place to ride is the Little Belts. Lots of singletrack, almost no one else on them.

My favorite place to ride is around Wise River. Lots of single track (need a plate to connect using FS roads however) and NO ONE else on them.

There is some single track around the Bozo/Big Sky area.

The only place open to ride right now is Pipestone. The rest is all still buried in snow and seemingly getting new snow as fast as the old stuff melts.

Used to be maps up online at the USFS websites. You would have to look for the ones for propsed travel plan modifications as they would show the old travel plan (the new ones always pissed me off for some reason?).

There are many other places to ride, but the ones above are my faves.

Pipestone/Homestake is nice, but gets a lot of use. I prefer to ride here during the week, early mornings on the weekends, or at night!

My second favorite place to ride is the Little Belts. Lots of singletrack, almost no one else on them.

My favorite place to ride is around Wise River. Lots of single track (need a plate to connect using FS roads however) and NO ONE else on them.

There is some single track around the Bozo/Big Sky area.

The only place open to ride right now is Pipestone. The rest is all still buried in snow and seemingly getting new snow as fast as the old stuff melts.

Used to be maps up online at the USFS websites. You would have to look for the ones for propsed travel plan modifications as they would show the old travel plan (the new ones always pissed me off for some reason?).

There are many other places to ride, but the ones above are my faves.

this is good solid info. BLM has trail maps for Pipestone.

Thank you all for the info. I am headed over to Deer Lodge for work next week and hopefully will be able to get some trail maps at the Ranger station. I'm going to hit the Lolo NF, Gallatin and deer lodge Ranger districts. It's a shame they don't put these maps online anymore.

I think I'll try out Pipestone while I'm over there next week. Looking forward to doing some high country riding later this summer.

I heard there was a place to ride North of Havre just South of the USA/Canada border. Has anyone heard of this or been out there?

I heard there was a place to ride North of Havre just South of the USA/Canada border. Has anyone heard of this or been out there?

you can ride around Fresno reservoir up there. I'll be happy to hook up and show you around Pipestone

you can ride around Fresno reservoir up there. I'll be happy to hook up and show you around Pipestone

Looks like I'll be riding at Pipestone on Monday (if they weather holds out). If you're interested/available.

Looks like I'll be riding at Pipestone on Monday (if they weather holds out). If you're interested/available.

Don't look at the weather as a reasnon to not head up there to ride. The area is a granite/sand base and the wetter it gets usually the better it gets. Not like the stuff you are used to!

I was up there with some buddies Wednesday night after work. It had rained up there all day with puddles everywhere. It drizzled or rained on us the entire time we rode. We got completely soaked. We got cold. And the single track was totally epic that night and made every last bit of it worthwhile!

I might be up for it. let you know this weekend

When were you planning to explore those trails? I love the West Yellowstone area and visit it most years, maybe we meet up there this summer:ride:

When were you planning to explore those trails? I love the West Yellowstone area and visit it most years, maybe we meet up there this summer:ride:

That would be great, it's hard getting the boys from Wa to go out to MT to ride with me...wouldn't mind some company. Judging by how much snow is up there this year, I'm shooting for the 1st or 2nd weekend of August (I'll be over there the week of July 11th too, but doubt it'll be thawed out by then).

I want to hit that area north of Hebgen lake and then the other area that's just south of Big Sky Resort.

That would be great, it's hard getting the boys from Wa to go out to MT to ride with me...wouldn't mind some company. Judging by how much snow is up there this year, I'm shooting for the 1st or 2nd weekend of August (I'll be over there the week of July 11th too, but doubt it'll be thawed out by then).

I want to hit that area north of Hebgen lake and then the other area that's just south of Big Sky Resort.

Tayler Fork

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShambalaya#p/u/13/lEI1G7YZZN8

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShambalaya#p/u/12/hhiFHIRXZ_Y

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShambalaya#p/u/11/Aqp2c5t561I

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShambalaya#p/u/10/rMVj1PF7aFg