Sign in to follow this  

Air leak

So I just replaced my base gasket on my cylinder. But it still sounds like I have an air leak! Could this possibly be from a messed up or bad head gasket? It only sounds like I have the leak when I ride her hard! Hopefully it's nothing to serious! I will post a video if needed.

Edited by Annonymous

So I just replaced my base gasket on my cylinder. But it still sounds like I have an air leak! Could this possibly be from a messed up or bad head gasket? It only sounds like I have the leak when I ride her hard! Hopefully it's nothing to serious! I will post a video if needed.

You could do a leak down test (there is a sticky on this). Having said that, IMO the easiest way to find an air leak is to mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle, start your bike and spray it all over your motor where the gaskets are. You will see any air leaks that you may have. Of course, this doesn't work if it is one of your crank shaft seals that is leaking.

Look who it is, my buddy fdrbtr lol but Wow man i didn't even see the sticky up there, Sorry about that and thanks bro. Really helpful! And wouldn't be the crank seals, I did them when I replaced my crank and piston.

Look who it is, my buddy fdrbtr lol but Wow man i didn't even see the sticky up there, Sorry about that and thanks bro. Really helpful! And wouldn't be the crank seals, I did them when I replaced my crank and piston.

Check the air boot on your reed cage. They have a small lip that acts as a gasket. On older bikes the lip can become flat and let air in. And make sure you ALWAYS have a finger on the clutch. An air leak can cause your bike to take off at the most unexpected times.

Well using the soap water technique, I found the leak. I sprayed the base gasket line and the head gasket line on my left side. No leaks. I sprayed my right side and my power valve sucked the soap in. I took the cover off and peeled the gasket off. The gasket was beat up! Luckily I had an extra one lying around!! Thanks y'all

your PV will not cuase an air leak, keep looking. Then again I may be blowing bubbles

Hmm it was sucking in soap, so I figured that was it Seanmx57. Didn't know that couldn't be a problem area for air leaks. But since there is not any leaks coming from the gaskets or exhaust port, I'm gonna start with the Airboot like CR15 said! So how do I check the air boot, same soap method?