Sign in to follow this  

ktm quick release skid- are they good enuff?

my 08 xcfw came with KTM Plastic Skid Plate/with Quick-Fastener. Are these skids pretty good for rocky trail use... do they hold up ok? or is aluminum ones way way better? I like this one and want to keep it but... not sure how trail worthy it is. Its mainly side casings i worry about. I thought about riveting an extra one inch extension pieces onto this thing to extend a bit and deflect trail hazards away from my precious Rekluse clutch cover. On my DRZ 400 i glued a 3/8" thick strip of rubber along the leading edges of casings. It was hardly noticable/incognito and I'm sure it helped.

Is it worthy? :smirk:

Edited by ballistic
sp

I've destroyed every kind of skid plate on mine.

Trashed the hard parts aluminum plate, Hyde plastic plate, P3 carbon plate was okay for a year but was trashed after that. Had another aluminum plate off a 450 I adapted to it and folded that.

I went back to the quick release plate since my frame rails are already dented. It's held up great.

KTM garbage 005.jpg

I've destroyed every kind of skid plate on mine.

Trashed the hard parts aluminum plate, Hyde plastic plate, P3 carbon plate was okay for a year but was trashed after that. Had another aluminum plate off a 450 I adapted to it and folded that.

I went back to the quick release plate since my frame rails are already dented. It's held up great.

TJ that photo of skidplates is quite a hall of fame (shame?)

I drilled a small hole near my azuz screw and looped a ziptie around the bracket:thumbsup:.

Edited by ballistic

TJ that photo of skidplates is quite a hall of fame (shame?)

I drilled a small hole near my azuz screw and looped a ziptie around the bracket:thumbsup:.

They just don't make them tough enough.:smirk: You should have seen the carbon P3 when I took it off. I can't find the picture of that one but the carbon is worn away from the bottom and there is a hole in it. I try not to launch off rocks to clear other ones as much anymore.

I bent the bracket in slightly so the dzus screw turns tighter. I also flip the knob over so it's on the throttle side. If it's going to release it will get pushed up by something.

After running two quick release plastic plates on two KTM's, both plates were destroyed within 1 1/2 years. While I was pleased with their ease of use and light weight, I was forced to go to aluminum plates on both bikes.