collarbone protection

Hi everyone, on wednesday i had a bad crash and broke my left collarbone. I wasnt wearing any chest protection,but i had a neck brace which for all i know could of saved my life in that crash. But my question is are there any chest protectors or other gear that can offer good protection to the collerbones because they just seem to say they protect against roost but do they also offer protection to bones from being broken again. Thanks.

I think the ones with shoulder pads do pretty good...ill post pics of mine later when i find a camera.

but i could be wrong

I had a chest protector on when I crashed and broke my collar bone since I don't bother to even wear one. Try not to hit the ground I guess. The clavicle is super eAsy to break doesn't take much pressure

this is pretty much identical to the crash that broke mine, does anyone know what makes the front wheel just wash out like that.

The crash is at 1min 35secs. Btw this isn't me in this video,just very similar to my crash.

you guys need to learn to crash better

I've broken my collar bone before and i dont think a chest protector will prevent it. It all has to do with the way you fall and what you do to break your fall.

so it's just one of those things you can't prevent then. ok well thanks anyway

Are you wearing a leatt? If so is it resting on the collar bone? If it is your going to have to make some adjustments. it should be on the chest right below the clavicle. Also only takes i believe 5-8 pounds of pressure to break it, and falling on an outstretched arm can do it

i have an alpinestars neck brace and it doesnt rest on the collarbone but ya i fell on my hand. But i think the neck brace transferred the force from my neck so it could of saved my life so i'm thankful i had one.

Alright, cause theres so many people that dont have there leatts adjusted right and then wonder why they break there clavicle. Was it a high speed crash?

err top end of 3rd gear so quite quick. It was my first big crash from mx but at least i know wat to expect from it from now on anyway.

I've been wondering about this too...I bought a Leatt for my son and and EVO Revolution (I think?) for myself. After reading about many with broken collar bones wearing braces or not wearing braces, we have not used them.

I think I read maybe more collar bone breaks with Leatt over EVO somewhere. Not sure if there is any hard compiled data to review, that is a subjective one at best. So, out a few bucks and not certain what to do with them.

Above Tony mentions needing to be adjusted properly...we had ours set by the guy at Cycle Gear so hopefully he knows what he is doing...her sure looked like he did. Maybe we just need to wear them and report back after we wreck!!

I've been wondering about this too...I bought a Leatt for my son and and EVO Revolution (I think?) for myself. After reading about many with broken collar bones wearing braces or not wearing braces, we have not used them.

I think I read maybe more collar bone breaks with Leatt over EVO somewhere. Not sure if there is any hard compiled data to review, that is a subjective one at best. So, out a few bucks and not certain what to do with them.

Above Tony mentions needing to be adjusted properly...we had ours set by the guy at Cycle Gear so hopefully he knows what he is doing...her sure looked like he did. Maybe we just need to wear them and report back after we wreck!!

As long as the leatt is sitting below the clavicles you should be good. My leatt used to sit on my clavicle till I adjusted it, I've had some pretty big crashes and never broken a clavicle

There are alot of things that can break a collar bone. It is a very weak bone. Breaking a fall with an outstretched hand can do it. Your helmet edge hitting it can do so as well.

Personally, I think a broken collar bone is a small price to pay for not being paralyzed.

I had a very nasty crash while wearing my old EVS RC Evo that probably would have left me with some spine damage otherwise. Flipped over the bars in 4th gear and landed directly on the top/back of my helmet with my full weight and momentum. I could feel the helmet slam on the brace and the brace compress against my chest. Somehow I ended up face down in the dirt with my running bike on top of me. I had some wicked bruises where the neck brace straps wrap around the body and every single part of my body was extremely sore for the next 2 weeks....except for my neck. My neck felt as if nothing had happened.

I don't know how I got out of that one without any injuries, but I credit the neck brace for the lack of C-spine damage.

I now wear the Alpinestars brace because the Evo started falling apart and is not quite as comfortable as the A Stars.

It depends on the crash I guess. I had on a chest protector with shoulder pads, and it didn’t help, actually it did more damage then good. Broken right collar bone, and broke six ribs in a perfect line that followed the contour of the chest protector on my right side.

hockey shoulder pads, not perfect but will help alot

ATGATT

p1431ex5.jpg

I recently had a pretty minor crash but broke ribs, punctured and collapsed a lung, and spent my whole vacation in the hospital. I was wearing a pressure suit that looked to me to offer some of the best protection that style of gear has. But those suits usually have nothing around your sides and my elbow armor impacted my ribs and broke them. So while passing time in the hospital I was looking pretty hard at chest protectors and pressure suits and the new style of vests that are made to protect your ribs and vulnerable internal organs like liver and spleen.

Nothing I found offers great protection from every kind of fall. A chest protector wouldn't have helped in my side landing, there's nothing on the sides. My pressure suit did nothing to help, though I found a couple newer ones that have much better padding on the sides. The new style of vests would have made all the difference in the world, they are made for what I did wrong. But the vests don't really have much on top of the shoulders, and collar bone breaks often have nothing to do with landing on your shoulder anyway. Mountain bikers break collar bones all the time from putting a hand down to break the fall, shoulder top armor does nothing for that style of impact.

Nothing protects you from every kind of fall, our bodies are poorly designed to fly off a motorcycle in 3rd gear. I blame evolution for not seeing this one coming. Collar bones are especially vulnerable, like knees. The expensive knee braces are linked to broken femurs, and poorly adjusted neck braces are blamed for broken collar bones. Spend a thousand bucks on knee and neck braces, and then break your ribs? :smirk:

Lol although with this being my first broken bone from motocross i've got to say i find it pretty easy to live with. I supose if this is one of the most common injuries then i've nothing to fear when i get back on the bike.