Stripped oil check bolt help

i just bought an 06 rm250 and the oil check bolt is stripped and it weeps a little oil... should i heli coil it or what? the bolt stays in the hole but oil still gets passed it im just afraid if i heli coil it the shavings from tapping the case will get into the engine but want to fix it... might be a stupid question but if i tap the threads while leaning the bike over and let the oil weep out will that help prevent shavings from getting into the engine? also can i just tap it and flush it out with a few oil changes?

Just drop ya oil and remove the rh engine casing, the tap a new thread through. It would be too risky doing it whilst it's still on the bike. Make sure u buy a new gasket and some oil.

Drilling would cause shavings to go into engine. Unless you want to take it apart now, or the until the next time it is split, I would try putting some teflon tape at the threads close to the head. It will help seal it and keep it tighter. Some may suggest silicone, but that may be hard to clean each time you check it. Oil check is on left side and not the case cover.

If you are going to keep it, I would pull the motor, split cases and do it correctly.

Anyone can do short-cut work, but if you do it right you do it ONE time. I do not understand the logic of 'half-doing' something.

I grew up on a farm, there was ALWAYS work to be done, doing it right the first time and walk away from it.

You can put a 'time-cert' in place as well, I did these in the past but you had better know what you are doing. There is not a second chance after installing it since you use red loctite.

If you are not sure a dealer's shop can put the time-cert in for you. Being a 2006 that is a new bike pretty much, RM's are holding GREAT resale.

Another thing just doing regular maintenance doing silicone and/or telfon tape is going to be a mess in itself. If it did leak all out = toasted transmission.

I actually welded up a case in the past on a 4 wheeler for a friend, filed it flat, drilled it, tap'd it and it used the original drain plug. (aluminum case)

Of course the cases were split, kind of a pain in the butt job but it looked factory when I finished it.

If you know anyone who can weld aluminum that option is available if they can do it.

i just bought an 06 rm250 and the oil check bolt is stripped and it weeps a little oil... should i heli coil it or what? the bolt stays in the hole but oil still gets passed it im just afraid if i heli coil it the shavings from tapping the case will get into the engine but want to fix it... might be a stupid question but if i tap the threads while leaning the bike over and let the oil weep out will that help prevent shavings from getting into the engine? also can i just tap it and flush it out with a few oil changes?

If you have to drill or tap a case, then stick your drill bit in grease. Drill three or four turns and wipe the grease off the bit. Now dip the bit in grease again and keep cleaning the grease and shavings off every three or four turns. Drill slow and this also helps the grease catch the shavings. Now do the same with your tap only clean the grease off every two or three turns. This will work. Just don't get in a hurry. Good luck.