Sign in to follow this  

KLX 450R or CRF 450X?

Which is better for high speed desert riding and trail riding? About 65% desert and 35% rocky trails, mtn trails etc. I love to go very very fast. Going to put a desert tank and stabilizer on definitely. Which one is faster? Which one can go for longer on one tank? Speak up!

Which is better for high speed desert riding and trail riding? About 65% desert and 35% rocky trails, mtn trails etc. I love to go very very fast. Going to put a desert tank and stabilizer on definitely. Which one is faster? Which one can go for longer on one tank? Speak up!

Well from the experiences i've personally seen from my friends, and from many similar situations here on T.T. Going for long periods at high speeds will almost certainly guarantee a valve failure on that generation crf450x engine. To what degree of failure it what is not certain. I don't have any experience with the Kawasaki version.... I just recently sold my 04 WR450 which was a good bike. But it was very big, heavy, and had a seat height that was sometimes too tall. I'm 6' tall and weigh 200#'s. So the bike fit, but still not really ever comfortable. It should be mentioned however, that regardless of which bike you choose. They will all fail due to running them WfO for extended periods. They all become fragile at sustained long term RPM's, as cycle life is drastically cut short. If you ride normal on/off..... They can last quite a while. My WR was a reliable machine mechanically. But i never rode it WFO and held it for fear of catastrofic engine failure.

Being a two stroke guy, I wouldn't just pin it for a long time. But there are certain sections where I ride that are flat, smooth, and boring. And miles long. So I would probably stick around about 2/3 throttle in 5th. I'm 6 foot, 170, and I agree on the WR being too big. Having ridden my friend's, it feels like too much of a dual sport bike.

I have an '05 450X that I have put through a couple of desert hair and hounds. I live in northern nevada and run a lot of wide open sections. Of course any bike will fail if it is rapped out for an extended period. I have a riding biddy that has an '09 klx450r I have ridden it and read the dirt bike mag shootouts the past few years. Here is my $0.02:

The KLX isn't in production at this moment. The kawi feels really heavy and sluggish down low, but top end pulls harder then the X. The KLX seems to feel a lot like a WR motor wise, but feels even heavier.

The 450X has won Baja since it's intro in 2005. nuff said. The x feels

Nimble and light out on the desert and the suspension seems to float over rocky sections as easy as sand berms

if ur looking at used bikes u gotta go with the kawi..

KLX is more powerful you can throw some KX parts in there and it really rip, and the head and valvetrain on the klx is far superior if your talking equivalent production years..

Going for long periods at high speeds will almost certainly guarantee a valve failure on that generation crf450x engine.

I think that is a common internet myth. People duel sport these bikes all the time. They seem to do alright in Baja too, even with the OEM valve train.