Sign in to follow this  

125 2t?

Hey, I've never ridden a dirt bike, but I have plenty of summers on a 400ex, the 400ex has some performance mods, and moves right along. Anyways, I'm looking for more power, and something a bit different. I was thinking about getting a 125 2 stroke dirt bike, I know they are not ideal for trails, but I like the high revving 2 strokes. Anyways, I'm 6 ft 2 and 215 pounds, 16 years old. I was just wondering if a 2 stroke 125 would be ideal for me? Not really looking to go any smaller. Any tips/comments appreciated.

get a 250 2 smoker. you can lug those things around all day and not have problems and it will haul you around much better than a 125.

I would suggest a 250F instead.

Really looking to get a 2 stroke. After working on my 400ex a number of times, I'm really looking forward to the simple 2 stroke motor.

I agree with the 250 2t. It is gonna be better for trails and I think you will be disappointed in the 125s power. Good luck

At 215 lbs. a 250cc two-stroke would be a very good bike for you. They are plenty powerful enough for a rider of your size yet they are still fairly light feeling so you can really enjoy riding trails with them.

Thanks for the replies. To those saying 250 four stroke, I'm really not looking to get a four stroke. I know the four stroke is preferred on trails and I've done a lot of reading on the pros and cons, but I just think a 2 stroke would be more fun on the trails around my area, maintenance as well, 2 strokes = easy, 4 strokes = pain in the ass :smirk:

I've also heard 2 strokes can be a lot more fun to ride. If anyone has any more comments or opinions, post em :smirk:

Thanks for the replies. To those saying 250 four stroke, I'm really not looking to get a four stroke. I know the four stroke is preferred on trails and I've done a lot of reading on the pros and cons, but I just think a 2 stroke would be more fun on the trails around my area, maintenance as well, 2 strokes = easy, 4 strokes = pain in the ass :prof:

I've also heard 2 strokes can be a lot more fun to ride. If anyone has any more comments or opinions, post em :smirk:

Well, I have one 250cc four-stroke and the rest of my bikes are two-strokes. I do not view my four-stroke as having any significant advantages over my 250cc two-strokes for trail riding. The 250cc four-stroke does work better for me than my 125cc two-strokes on steeper hills and in extremely muddy conditions. A 250cc two-stroke when set up properly is an excellent choice of bike for trail riding. I do not mind mixing gas and oil at all for the two-strokes and would actually rather do that than purchase oil filters and check valves periodically for my 250cc four-stroke. But even that's not a big deal to me either. I just enjoy riding a 250cc two-stroke in the woods a little more than a 250cc four-stroke. They are both a whole lot of fun and it really boils down to personal preference. One man's treasure is another man's junk. :smirk:

I suggested the 250F since you have never ridden a dirtbike and the 250t is alot of bike for a noob to start out with. The first whiskey throttle and you are busted up or worse.

Thats why I'm going with a 125. I had a few people saying to get a 250 2t because of my size, but I dont want to get in over my head for my first bike.

125 it is.

Thats why I'm going with a 125. I had a few people saying to get a 250 2t because of my size, but I dont want to get in over my head for my first bike.

125 it is.

You can get throttle cams and a heavy flywheel weight to solve most of that problem.I would still recommend a 250 2stroke,at your height and weight after your first couple of rides you will want more power.Your not going to be on the pipe in the woods all the time and on steep grades you will be looking for 250 power.

id recommend the 250 2t. you might be inexperienced with bikes but you have experience with riding and that counts for something. i think you can handle the 2t just fine and its power will be more usable in the long run.